4G Ram?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,
    Would the 4G ram upgrade from 2G for MBP be really worth it?!
    It costs $80/2G here. So I am looking at a $160 upgrade (I have two 1G in my MBP right now).

Also, the website http://www.crucial.com/ provide the rams much cheaper. Are they a real company and can I trust their products?

Thanks!

2. glasserp macrumors regular

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!
    Also, is the upgrade worth it?!
    I mainly use MATLAB, LabVIEW on my Mac, and games on my windows :p!

4. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

They are they best RAM maker I know. You can definately trust them. Their RAM is superior, and they offer good customer support.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

Crucial is a good company and can be trusted, although I wouldn't say their ram is "superior". Memory modules either work like they should or don't work. If they have equal specifications, they can't be superior or inferior.

Anyway, if you want to save another 10 bucks, you can get 4GB for 40 USD on newegg.

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Is the extra RAM worth it? Of course!

Unlike Windows, OS X utilizes RAM. A simple memory upgrade like this makes your MacBook Pro feel like a brand new machine. You will especially benefit when running, and switching between, many apps at once.

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

Of course, Windows uses just the hard drive for memory :rolleyes:.

Stop being a douche, even if you just meant how OS X can leave stuff in memory for later use (in which case you should have said so), Windows can do a similar thing for a couple of years now - it's called SuperFetch.

8. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

So which site should I buy my memory from? Newegg or Crucial?

Thanks

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Really, it doesn't matter where you buy it. I usually buy Crucial RAM, and I usually buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. I've never had a problem out of either one of them.

One odd story about Crucial and Newegg. A couple of years ago, I used Newegg's memory selector to make sure I got the right memory for my PowerBook. You basically enter info on your machine, and it comes up with matching parts. I entered all my info, and it brought up a list of compatible memory, and I selected the Crucial 1GB stick. When I installed it, however, I kept getting an error on POST. I returned the memory, and Newegg quickly sent a replacement. It also gave an error on POST. I checked on the Apple support forums, and someone suggested ordering directly from Crucial. I did that, and got what appeared to be the same model, and it worked perfectly. The stats were exactly the same, and the part numbers were the same, but one worked, and one wouldn't. Odd stuff.

10. VladM macrumors regular

I just went from 2GB to 4 GB on my macbook today. Makes a huge difference.

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Crucial is great - pretty much the standard for aftermarket RAM.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

And not too badly priced either. I always end up buying from them. Not one problem so far.

13. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine running any of my computers - Apple or Microsoft based - on less than 4Gb of ram. I also find it hard to imagine going elsewhere than Crucial to buy memory upgrades.