4g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ag3nt-Orang3, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Ag3nt-Orang3 macrumors member

We all know that Apple is renowned for releasing a product then a few months later releasing a new product that has a necessary feature we all want.

My question about the iPhone 4 (which most websites say should not be called the iPhone 4G) is do you you think that this phone will allow 4G compatibility or will they need to release a whole new phone to allow this feature?

I'm not too savvy on programming but would 4G be enabled with a simple software upgrade?

Thanks

2. mac-mania macrumors member

No unfortunately its not quite that simple. While the phone supports "3.5G" or HSPA+ for theoretical 7.2mbps connections, full 4G on at&t will be LTE which will require both new towers and new handsets.

3. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

You need hardware for 4G. Apple didn't use an LTE or WiMAX chip because no 4G networks exist anywhere on the planet.

4. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

You've never heard of Sprint have you?

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

While Sprint exists on the planet, their 4G/LTE network is only available in portions of select cities. It was as few as 22 a couple months ago. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint who has started already, and T-Mobile won't have significant 4G/LTE coverage rolled out for most major cities until 2012-2014. Added to which it has been written about in numerous tech blogs that 4G is not nearly the significant jump over 3G that 3G was from EDGE, so the difference won't blow you away. The iPhone 4 will be great at what it does and will suffice until a time when the carriers have the next generation network in place. Expect that at a minimum, in 2 years when you are eligible again for the 2012 iPhone, that 4G/LTE will be more prevalent and on it's way to being the defacto.

6. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Of course I have. This is their 4G coverage.

[​IMG]

This isn't a network, this is a few cities.