4gb---->8gb kingston 1600

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getheo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. getheo macrumors member

getheo

I put on my macbook pro 2.3 17" 2011 the kingston khx1600 8gb and the boot time in lion is 32sec.With 4gb the boot time was 32.50sec.Is it normal such a small difference?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Increasing RAM doesn't necessarily increase speed. Adding RAM helps you run more programs at the same time with less disk-reads. Disk-reads are what slows you down when you're out of free RAM space.

This is just an example, nothing really technical.

Let's pretend you have 100mb of RAM. 50 of it is being used by your browser. If you copy an image that is also 60mb it will have to store 10mb of it on the disk. So it will write it to the hard drive. Then if you paste, it has to read that 10mb on the disk, so it has to read. That's twice that the hard drive has had to be accessed.

Now let's say you increased it to 150mb RAM. 50 being used by the browser and 60 being used by the image you copied. It can store the image in its entirety in RAM, thus there is no need to access the hard drive and everything works quicker.

It's as simplified as it gets. More RAM allows more things to be loaded at once.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Like MrCheeto said, more RAM won't make your computer boot faster or load apps faster, you can just do more at once.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

+1

Your best bet for increasing boot speed is a SSD. My boot from a cold start is 14-16 seconds.

5. roxxette, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

upgraded from 4gb to 8gb ram in my mpb 13 2011 too and i didnt notice any difference booting but when everything its fully usable everything runs smooth specially running paralles in coherence its amazing fast and "seamless" :) , def no regrets plus the benefit of having a lot of **** open everytime and still have like 4-3gb free :cool:

ps. sorry for my english

6. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

ssd is much more better to see your speed increasing

7. Uplift macrumors 6502

I installed in 8GB and didnt see a speed increase either.. but performance was better when doing something ram hungry.

So i also opted for a Momentus XT Hybrid SSD.. it has a 4GB SSD chip which grabs regularly used data.. the speed increase was amazing, boot time is quicker and apps load so much quicker..plus it is 7200rpm instead of 5200(or whatever it is).. so u'll notice a little bit there. It was £70 for the 320GB so nice and cheap for a taste of what SSD can offer.