4gb ddr3 memory likely to get cheaper soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMav, Jul 7, 2009.

1. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I currently have an alum MacBook (2.0Ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd) that I love. However, I do a lot of virtualization and could really use the 8gb of ram capable in the new mbp's (specifically, the 13.3" as I love that form factor).

Best price I've found for 8gb ram (2x4gb) is $600 from newegg. I think it is probably best to hold off until the ram is a bit more reasonable. Any thoughts on when prices are likely to go down?

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Well it looks like it went down a few hundred already in the last maybe 6-8 months or so. I remember when I first got my aluminum macbook and looked into getting more RAM getting 8GB cost around $900+, in other words pretty much Apple price.

I would assume it will probably take another year to bring it down to the $300 range for 8GB of RAM (2x4GB).

Meanwhile, perhaps you could add a 4GB stick to your 2GB stick and go for 6GB of RAM? It could help your situation somewhat, yet still save you some money. Then when prices REALLY come down (and you still want to keep your macbook by then rather than upgrading) you can just get the extra 4GB stick and max out at 8GB.

3. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

I'm pretty certain the model MacBook (we both have!) can support 6GB RAM. Although the chipset may support 8GB, Apple has limited it to 6GB. If you find out otherwise, let me know please!

4. imthekuni macrumors member

link?

i just looked, and all they have is Corsair PC2-5300 and the Mushkin @ 800 for 2x4gb

5. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

Two of these.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It comes down all the time. Should be at reasonable price range within 6 months

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It'll be at a real low point right before Apple abandons DDR3 memory, stay stable for a few months and start going back up.

8. imthekuni macrumors member

oh dang missed those, sweet although still a little pricey for moi

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Probably not. DDR3 chip prices rose last week. The 4GB modules are perhaps a bit different as they are likely priced higher currently due to lower demand of that capacity size. So increased demand might bring it down. Probably not by much though. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if 8GB is important now, then saving $200 in the future isn't a big deal.

10. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

Hello?

There's a 6GB limit, buying 8GB won't work!

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not in the new models. New MBPs can take up to 8Gb

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

13. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

Is his MacBook the new model? NO!

14. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I am considering moving up to the new 13.3" MBP so I can max it out at 8gb.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But it's 2Gb + 4Gb not 3Gb + 3Gb...

Read posts before posting....

16. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

So?

If the OP keeps his MB thats the most he can use, and thats how its sold, a 4gb chip plus a 2gb chip. And its seen by the computer. If he gets the MBP he can use 8gb......