4Gb dual channel vs 8Gb single channel

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by waloshin, Aug 14, 2014.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I have 4 gigabytes of ram currently in dual channel and I am using more than 4 gigabytes so its swaping to my ssd. I have one stick on 8 Gbs that I plan to use. Will I see a performance decrease with just one stick.

2. blanka macrumors 68000

Use both!
    2+8=10
    10GB will way outperform 4GB. Less swapping with HD/SSD is way more important than the slight dual channel benefit.
    Cherry on the cake: the 2GB of the 8GB will still work dual channel with the other 2

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Or buy another 8GB stick. They're pretty cheap nowadays.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Interesting...

4 Gb dual channel apple ram

[​IMG]

8Gb single channel:

[​IMG]

Both ram are 1600 Mhz

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

NovaBench is not very accurate, GeekBench do a much better job.

Anyway, Use 2+8 should be the best option. There is no need to use matched pair on a Intel Mac.

Also, the current OSX is very good to fully utilise the RAM, more RAM means more cache, which means a faster machine. Therefore, a single channel 8G config should run better than a dual channel 4G system. In my observation, the OS itself can easily use up 6G of RAM (if available). 8G is definitely a better option for Maverick.

Moreover, unless you are doing some very RAM intensive job. You should not able the see any real world performance difference between single and dual memory channel config (even though there may be 6-8% overall performance in benchmarks).

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If you are maxing out your RAM, then the few percentage points in overall system benchmarks, will be more than made up for by not using your SSD as virtual memory/swap.

7. posnera macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation. I have a late 2012 mini with 2+2 and want to add an 8gb card. Does it matter which slot is which for a 2+8 setup?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, it does not matter which slot the 8GB stick goes into.