Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I bought a new iMac and put 4GB of RAM in it. OS X sees the entire 4GB correctly, and both System Profiler and Activity Monitor report that the system has 4GB. However, when I boot into Windows XP Professional it reports only 3GB in Task Manager.

To be honest I don't really care if Windows is using only 3GB as I don't often use Windows outside of Fusion, and when I do I certainly don't need anything near 3GB. However, I would be interested to know if anybody knows why Windows does only see 3GB. Is it an inherent limitation of XP or something funny with the new iMac?

exabytes18

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2006
Suburb of Chicago
The ceiling on the 32bit version isn't necessarily 3gb. It can access 4gb of memory, but some of that is for the graphics memory so you'll never see the full 4gb... at least this is my understanding of it.

I have 4gb in mine and xp only sees 2.75gb. I'll eventually buy a 64bit copy of vista, but like you said, there's plenty of ram and I don't need that extra gb.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
The ceiling on the 32bit version isn't necessarily 3gb. It can access 4gb of memory, but some of that is for the graphics memory so you'll never see the full 4gb... at least this is my understanding of it.

I have 4gb in mine and xp only sees 2.75gb. I'll eventually buy a 64bit copy of vista, but like you said, there's plenty of ram and I don't need that extra gb.

The next question is how does the 64 bit version run on a Mac? Some of the drivers provided by Mac are 32 bit only right?

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
You may be able to access all 4GB in windows if you disable the default 1GB pagefile.

It was my understanding that 4GB is the most 32 bit windows can address - it does so by splitting it in two banks, one 2GB bank for the kernel and one 2GB bank for applications.

The 4GB total is physical memory + swap - so having the swap prevents XP from using all of the physical memory.

I've never owned a machine with 4GB so this is all hearsay.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007

This is only true for chipsets that have integrated graphics and shared memory, such as the GMA950 in the Mac Mini and other such PCs using GMA.

For the iMac which has its own video memory, this will not be the case.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Windows 32 bit is bust, basically. No hardware reason for it not to see the full 4GB, as long as your hardware supports 4GB (eg Santa Rosa on laptops). The swap pagefile is hard disk space taken up, not RAM, that is why it is call a swap in the first place.

From what I have read, Vista 64 bit is much better than XP 64 bit, but I do not know whether the bootcamp drivers support it at all or useably so.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
This is only true for chipsets that have integrated graphics and shared memory, such as the GMA950 in the Mac Mini and other such PCs using GMA.

For the iMac which has its own video memory, this will not be the case.

Mmmmmnnn.... No. It has nothing to do with where the memory is located, but rather how much address space is avaliable for memory.

Windows (32bit) is able to address up to 4 GB, but some of that address space is reserved for other uses, such as page files or by some of the devices that you are using, eg. graphics card and PCI cards. A part of the physical address space is therefore unavailable for use by main memory, hence you only see 3 GB.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
You'll have a terrible time trying to find drivers and there are a lot of problems with the 64bit version. Avoid it.

I run the 64 bit version of Vista on my XPS1710 with no problems. There aren't any problems with it except for limited driver support with specialized hardware.

Thus drivers for the Mac does concern me...

GyroGearloose

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Norfolk, UK
Can Mac Pro show > 2GB too

I bought a new iMac and put 4GB of RAM in it. OS X sees the entire 4GB correctly, and both System Profiler and Activity Monitor report that the system has 4GB. However, when I boot into Windows XP Professional it reports only 3GB in Task Manager.

To be honest I don't really care if Windows is using only 3GB as I don't often use Windows outside of Fusion, and when I do I certainly don't need anything near 3GB. However, I would be interested to know if anybody knows why Windows does only see 3GB. Is it an inherent limitation of XP or something funny with the new iMac?

How did you do it?

I am trying the same with a MacPro with 4 GB of RAM, running MacOS 10.5. Alas, task manager reports only 1.99 GB.

Cheers

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
well what about on the mac side, my system tells me i have 4 GB of ram but menu-meters says i have 3985 MB total, if my GB to MB math is right, 4096 MB should be 4 GB and i actually have 3.89 GB of ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.