4GB Macbook Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aliasneo, Jun 24, 2007.

1. aliasneo macrumors newbie

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Link? I'm sure this for the MacBook Pro.

3. continentalg5 macrumors newbie

I don't think your Macbook will address 4 gigs of RAM.

4. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

First generation Macbooks will only address 2 GB. C2D Macbooks will address 3GB, athlough it is not recommended by Apple.

5. chex macrumors regular

it isn't 'not recommended' - they don't even mention it

they don't offer it because they only give dual channel specifications - probably to help along the integrated gpu

6. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Exactly.. not using dual channel puts strain on the GPU or something along those lines.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Many people here run 4g in a macbook, not pro...
    it shows 3.3 G max....but test shows it runs much better..

8. chex macrumors regular

er, no

not using dual channel makes it ever so slightly responsive, which slows down the crappy gpu even more.

if you are not going to be running games or 3D apps then 3GB is better than 2GB

9. dex22 macrumors regular

As a person with a 4GB Macbook C2D, here's the deal. 4GB gives either 3GB or 3.3GB available, depending on model of C2D, and 2GB max on a CD macbook.

Using 4GB maintains your ability to use dual channel, which gives you the same speed as using 2GB or 1GB matched pairs. 3GB works great, but as a non-matched pair, you lose dual channel support. This slows the entire machine down by 10% or so, and has a noticable but not crippling impact on video performance.

I chose 4GB instead of 3GB because it was only $40 more and I figured in the future it would sell better as a matched pair, or could be swapped into a future macbook or pro.

Ok, I'm off to Sams Club to see if they have any cool gadgets for my macbook :)

10. TheNakedMan macrumors member

I am going to upgrade my 1gb to something...I guess I could put 4gb and call it quits :)

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

At the current prices, its almost a "no-brainer". Remember, only C2Ds can take 4GB.

12. Smurfed macrumors regular

More specificly:

Santa Rosa, C2D's

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not true. Any C2D MacBook or MacBook Pro can take 4GB, it just doesn't use the top 700MB. You really should try reading the thread. ;)

14. mikehokie macrumors regular

Nope

Only a SR processor can address the 4 GB of memorey. So that means not EVERY C2D MacBook or MacBook Pro can take 4 GB.

You really should try reading the thread :rolleyes:

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you read the thread :rolleyes: you will see we are talking about the ability to take 4GB, not use. Honestly, children!

16. mikehokie macrumors regular

:apple:

17. jowie macrumors 6502a

See attached... A new C2D MacBook with 4GB RAM. How can you tell if the top 700MB is in use or not?

Attached Files:

18. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

new? if its newer than november that means that it is a santa rose machine, it uses all 4gb. it would say 3.3gb if it didn't use it all im pretty sure.

19. jowie macrumors 6502a

Yes it was bought around Christmas time. So are there three types of machine: Core Duo, Core 2 Duo and now Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo?
    :confused:
    Why is a huge chunk of it under "inactive"? Does anyone know what inactive really means?

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

First Gen are Core Duo, no, you can only get upto 2GB. 3GB might be possible but its a chipset restriction here... actually, i'm not sure for this gen. if someone can get the chipset number/model... you can look it up on intel.com and see if you can put in 4 GB or not.

Second Gen are Core 2 Duo, (1.83GHz/2.0GHz) can use 4GB, but you can only address upto 3 GB.

Third Gen are also Core 2 Duo, (2.0GHz/2.16GHz), same as 2nd Gen but I think you can address upto 3.25GB (not sure about that)

Forth Gen, Core 2 Duo again (2.0GHz/2.2GHz), current, can use 4GB AND address 4GB if you have a x64 OS (Doesn't matter for OSX since its 32/64bit). This gen is also using the Santa Rosa chipset.

Inactive memory are, according to apple: "This information is no longer being used and has been cached to disk, but it will remain in RAM until another application needs the space. Leaving this information in RAM is to your advantage if you (or a client of your computer) come back to it later."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

21. jowie macrumors 6502a

Great reply... Pretty much answers all my questions! Thanks! :)

22. kle macrumors newbie

Question! RAM Problem!

Hi Guys,
    I read all the previous entrys but I still can't solve my problem.

I use a Macbook with 2.16Ghz C2D bought August 2007.
    I upgraded my memory from 2gb 667Mhz to 4GB 667Mhz
    (2 Moduls) this week.

System Info now shows me that the Ram is only running @ 533Mhz speed!
    Can anyone tell me why that is? There's nothing wrong with the moduls. I checked them in combination with the old 1GB moduls.

In combination as 2GB and 1GB modul they run @ 667Mhz!?!

I'd appreciate any help or Info.

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

The Core Duo machines can only use a max. of 2 gb. This has been established for a number of years now.

Bring the RAM back to the store. It is the wrong type. If your machine is reporting that your RAM is 533 mhz, it's because the RAM is actually 533 mhz, not 667.

24. kle macrumors newbie

Thanx

Thanx for the reply,

My C2D can handle a total of 3.35Ghz as I checked on Acticity Monitor.
    You're right there must be something wrong with the RAM. Tried everything else. I'll change them against 2 new Moduls in the shop tomorrow.

Tell u if it worked.

Best greez from Munich
    and a nice weekend (@21°C here)

Kle