*4GB Memory for Santa Rosa Blackbook*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dodge2112, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dodge2112 macrumors newbie

This is kind of a continuation of previous related threads, but it appears that there is a specific memory upgrade for the "Santa Rosa", etc., models. In my searching for info, I came across a 4GB upgrade (Samsung) at OWC that is listed as being compatible with ONLY the Santa Rosa Macbooks or above. This, coupled with the fact that many site's "memory wizards" will not recommend anything for the 2.2 GHz upgrade, indicates that we may be on to something here. I don't have the technical expertise to gauge what the exact difference is, but I bet this is the problem with the Crucial (Micron) 4GB upgrade.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

links would help.

I don't really understand what you are saying.

Same memory as the pre santa rosa macbooks.

Here is the crucial memory wizard response to the srmb

Here is owc memory wizard for srmb

In fact every place I have been to that has a memory wizard gives responses for the srmb.

3. Fezzasus macrumors regular

The difference is that pre Santa Rosa macbooks can only see 3.3 GB. You can still put 4 GB in, not all of it will be used.

4. Dorv macrumors regular

Yeah, but the memory that Crucial speced didn't work for me, nor Dodge.

What this sounds like to me is that they may have had a bad production run... Dodge and I both called them the same day it sounds like... My replacement (a different manufacture) is on the UPS truck right now, so we'll see what happens.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Mod Note - Please keep all discussion in one thread. Not going to merge them all know because it is just too much work. This thread is an example of why we want to keep them all in one place as the first post makes absolutely no sense without prior context, this makes more work for the people trying to help.

FYI: I have the crucial ram in my srmb from the memory wizard linked above.

There is no difference in spec ram for srmb as previous generations.

It was probably just a bad batch of ram.

6. dodge2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the apparent etiquette faux pas, this was my first attempt at posting. Didn't mean to confuse the issue any more. The link for the Samsung memory is:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/53DDR2SAMP4G/

and several of the online stores (newegg incl.) do not give specific options for the Santa Rosa models memory upgrade; it will only show up to the 2.16, I believe.

I agree that it is probably just a bad batch, however, an interesting note is that I both Crucial (Micron) 2GB sticks in my 2.16 iMac last night and it is recognized and appears to be working great.

Huh... go figure.

7. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I just popped 4 gig in my 2.2 C2D black MacBook that I purchased last weekend. This is the exact Crucial memory you linked. I haven't had a single problem with it. Works like a charm. I've never had a problem with Crucial memory.

Regarding the 3.3 GB limit, my computer is recognizing all 4 GB if I remember correctly. I'll check again when I boot the computer (it's tucked away in my laptop bag).

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If its Santa Rosa, the current generation MacBook, it'll read AND use all 4GB.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It'll read it because they both require the same ram. They could still be dodgy despite the iMac reading it or another possibility is that you didn't seat the ram properly in the macbook.

The stores probably give different options because they don't want to mislead people in thinking that the pre santa rosa can use 4Gb of ram.

2.2GHz mean its a SR which means it can use all 4GB ram.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Bought the same stuff. No troubles.

This little laptop is faster with 4GB than my 2.16GHz MacBook Pro w/ 2GB and a 7200 RPM HD. I tend to have multiple apps open at the same time, including Parallels. Constant hard drive swapping with 2GB on my old machine. Now with 4GB on this machine, no swapping to the hard drive at all. Love it.

13. Udinpetot macrumors member

guys.., i live in Australia, sydney..
    any place who sells 2x2 gb memory with similar price to this?
    memory here so bloody expensive :S

14. kusanagi macrumors regular

Try the local computer fairs (computerfairs.com.au computermarkets.com)

I'm down in Wollongong and picked up 4gb for $170

Works like a charm.

15. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I popped 4 gigs of Corsair Value RAM from Newegg in my sister's SR Blackbook. ~ 70 after rebates. No problems whatsoever.

I'm proud to say that I've now turned my sister and three friends onto Mac. Works out better for me because that's 4 less "free" tech support calls I have to field!!

16. Udinpetot macrumors member

from xe.com...
    85 us = 93 aud :S
    170 still doesnt look right to me :(

17. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Yea, I knew I had a Santa Rosa MacBook. However, I thought Fezz mentioned SR's would only recognize 3.3 GB. That's what I get for posting in a sleep deprived state. Fezz actually wrote about pre-SR systems. Sorry for the confusion.