4GB memory in late 2008 MBP the max?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiataMac, Feb 11, 2010.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

Hi,

Started using Aperture 3 trial and it seems I need more memory than 4GB. Doing enough adjustments to a RAW photo and eventually activity monitor shows that all 4GB of memory is in use and the system becomes really slow - and Aperture impossible to use.

But having looked at this (http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM), it seems my January 2009 MacBook Pro (Late 2008, I assume?) 2.4 GHz doesn't support more than 4GB of memory? Well, 6GB, but I've never seen 3 GB memory modules - do they exist? Or is it worth losing the "dual channel" by installing 4GB + 2GB?

Had I only went for the 2.66 GHz version I could have had 8GB of memory, right?

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

It should support 6. And yes, going with 4GB+2GB generally outweighs breaking dual channel mode.

3. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll try to keep an eye out for a 4gb stick then, I assume it should be Kingston KTA-MB1066.

4. keithOrbit macrumors member

it intresting, there have no 3GB ram, why some macbook pro support 6Gb ram?

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Actually, you can use up to 6GB of memory! 4x2 :)

Good luck

Habitus :apple:

6. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Which 4GB RAM stick should you use for best results?

7. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

As it turns out, it will actually run with 4GB+2GB, so 6GB in total.

However, the price for a stick of 4GB memory in my country is like $300. I think I'm gonna wait it out at least this month and see if Apple doesn't release new MacBook Pro's, might as well save the money and get something new and (hopefully) improved.