4gb Memory Upgrade MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Whits, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Whits macrumors member

I see there's a mac buying ram guide, but it doesn't answer all of my questions.

Looking to upgrade my 2.4ghz MBP to 4 gigs of memory.

I'm looking at OWC right now and see they sell a normal 4gb upgrade and then a "4gb CAS 4 Low-Latency" ram upgrade for $15 more. What's the difference there? I see in the guide that it mentions buying ram with a CAS faster than my machine won't change anything... how do I know what my machine supports?

I'm just looking to get the best memory available... Any advice?

Thanks

2. jroller macrumors regular

Frankly, I don't know the answer to your question, but I strongly suspect that RAM for an extra $15 is a way to get you to spend an extra $15. I don't believe that you will benefit from it in any *perceivable* way.

3. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

I second that, for an extra 15$, if the RAM is at the same frequency and the same amount of memory I dont think it will make that big of a difference. Sometimes it's just the materials which the transistors(or is it capacitors I never remember :p) is made out of which makes a difference. Dont waste the extra 15$ go for the normal OWC 4GB upgrade ;)

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Like the above user's just posted don't waste your money as their is noticeable difference, try crucial

5. Mr. B macrumors regular

OWC is the way to go.

Personally I far prefer it to crucial.

Get the OWC brand ram for good quality reliable ram that is very competitively priced.

I've currently got OWC ram running in my 5 year old ibook, my 3 year old power mac g5, and my new macbook.

In all cases I have never had any trouble with it.

6. pinktank macrumors 6502

There is no difference at all in performance with rams that you can get at newegg for way cheaper

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

"The lower the CAS latency (given the same clock speed), the less time it takes to fetch data from it."

If the cheaper RAM is CAS 5 and the $15 more RAM is CAS 4, the CAS 4 RAM will be faster. Noticeably? Maybe. It would depend on your definition of Noticeable.

8. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Is RAM in the MBP easy to replace? My MB was but I've heard the MBP is trickier.

9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

just making sure you are aware...

4gb of memory is ALOT and unless you work at NASA or do something of equivalence, you dont need that much. Games/video/music work fine with 2GB.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

It's the same (ish) as replacing the RAM in a MB so if you found that difficult then you will a MBP

Blimy i don't work for NASA and could do with more RAM that's why i'm upgrading to a MacPro when Nehalem gets released

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

All you do is take out the battery and unscrew a few screws. How hard is that? :confused:

12. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Sorry I missed out the word 'easy' my MB was easy but had heard the MBP was tricker. If it's the same then it will be fine.

Thanks.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No it's no trickier remove battery,then memory door,add RAM,then reverse process,the hardest part is making sure you ground yourself and push hard enough to seat the RAM properly

14. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Yes, 2GB is fine, BUT, 4GB is sooooo much nicer to work with. Why not do 4GB if it's available and cheap?

You will NEVER regret a RAM upgrade.

15. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If you are using VMware Fusion or Parallels and want to run a Vista virtual machine you will want to commit at least 1 GB for Windows, and probably more like 1.5 GB. Leopards minimum memory requirement is 512 MB, meaning that you actually need closer to 1GB. :D Now a 2 GB machine doesn't sound so good.

My home machine has 2 GB and runs Leopard, so I run Windows XP with 512 MB just fine, leaving 1.5 GB for everything else (I wouldn't even think about trying Vista on that machine). My work machine has 4 GB and runs Tiger, but I have enough memory to run XP with 1 GB. If and when both Leopard and Vista get the OK, I will try Vista with 1 GB, but expect it will run slow unless I allocate more memory to VMware.

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Depends on what you use your machine for simple stuff you won't notice any different, just check your page in page out's

17. ionlygreat macrumors member

where can i get this OCW brand that you guys are talking about? :confused: A search on google and Newegg didn't pull it up

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here

19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

20. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I have the owc 4gb kit in my mbp. no issues with it and recommend it. The lower latency as stated is slightly faster (as in so slight you won't notice as it is in Milli-seconds).
    4Gb is nice to have. I run my parallels machine with 2Gb (as I run autocad, and revit via parallels) I also find it is nice for those large photoshop/illustrator files (24"x36" @ 600dpi) or for rendering (I use form-z).
    I will admidt that the most I have ever seen being used (as per istat) is 2.7gb at a time, but it is nice that the computer doesn't lag due to ram

4gb is cheap so why not get it.:D:D:D feel the power......