Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
hey there, i have a few questions regardind the 32gb ram possibility on the mac pro.

I have a 2,66 dual core mac pro + a macbook, both with 2gb of ram.

Currently i use one computer for rendering with maxwell render, and the other for working with archicad, photoshop or final cut studio

I want to work just with one computer from now on, so i will max out the ram on my mac pro, but as i've read on these forums, the 32gb possibility doesn't work because of the bus can't handle that much information, so i want to know if it's true, and if anyone has tried the 4gb sticks yet?

I'm planning on buying just 16gb for now, but my doubt is if going with 8x2gb modules or 2x4gb (for double the price). the doubt is basically because if the 32gb when i complete upgrading next year) won't work, i'll just stick with 16gb...

anyone has 32gb working on the mac pro?

i'll buy the modules from OWC, as it's much cheaper than crucial, and these are the only two companies that send the sticks to me in Chile, where i live, so don't have many choices. Anyone has had any problem with owc, like kernel panics or something else?

thanks in advance!

Octobot

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
MPx12
I haven't.. though from the looks of it, it is possible and safe..

"Apple Mac Pro 8-core / Quad-core Memory upgrades from OWC fully meet Apple's specifications and use True Apple Qualified Heat-Spreaders to insure proper thermal compliance. Quality Memory from OWC lets you Max your Mac Pro to 32GB!"

Which I figure you've read already..

And people in the forums seem to like OWC for their Mac Pro's..
Hopefully we'll have someone chime in who has a 32GB setup, to relay their experience.. though I am sure it will be fairly rare.. ;)

pipep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
thx for ur reply octobot, i think too it should work but as i've seen on the forums it might not....

i think i'm going to buy the 16gbs though, as it seems nobody has 4gb modules... i don't wont to be the first on this matter :)

another question, anyone knows if any difference in performance between "OWC Mac Pro Certified" and "OWC Mac Pro Qualified" ram?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

for price i'll go with qualified ram as it's much cheaper, has lifetime warranty and seems to be exact as the others but without the Netlist Certification.

so, anyone with "qualified" ram running on the mac pro?:confused:

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
thx for ur reply octobot, i think too it should work but as i've seen on the forums it might not....

i think i'm going to buy the 16gbs though, as it seems nobody has 4gb modules... i don't wont to be the first on this matter :)

another question, anyone knows if any difference in performance between "OWC Mac Pro Certified" and "OWC Mac Pro Qualified" ram?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

for price i'll go with qualified ram as it's much cheaper, has lifetime warranty and seems to be exact as the others but without the Netlist Certification.

so, anyone with "qualified" ram running on the mac pro?:confused:

Recommend you visit the Apple FCP/Motion forums on http://forums.creativecow.net/forums.php and ask there, or even the http://www.lafcpug.org cafe forum. Power users on those forums might likely have max'd ram, and probably the people at Los Angeles' ProMax, monthly lafcpug meet sponsor, could answer your question- more than likely ernesto sanchez.

http://leaders.creativecow.net/leaders/sanchez_ernesto/

btw. 8GB modules are supposed to come out next year, the Dell workstations are configured to go that high...64GB ;). One of the mod's on lafcpug.org, I think is from one of those S. American countries, might be of some help too.

pipep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
butthead, i'll check out those links, thanks for ur input!

ff_productions, i know i actually don't "need" the 32gbs yet, though i was thinking on gettin 16gbs on 4gb modules so later in time i can max out without losing sticks, but it's too expensive just now and for the time i need to upgrade they'll probably be much cheaper, so i''m going with 8x2gb for sure. It's good to know u have bought the $630 sticks, u have them already working? should i just don't worry about they're not "certified by netlist"?

i'm planning buy them before new year's eve, and from owc told me it should take like 1-2 weeks to get here.

thanks for ur response, any more opinions are welcome :)

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
I recently bought 8GB in 4 X 2GB sticks from OWC. Ran Rember for 48 hours. Since then there have been zero problems reported by system profiler/ memory, from lots of work.
They are a pretty good company to deal with if you do have problems.

pipep

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
blogger. thx for ur comments on the subject, i'm pretty confident with owc as i have read a lot the same thing u say: if something goes wrong, they'll fix it... :) I was first going with crucial, but owc is much cheaper and have good reviews on their products specially in their after sale support, so, can't go wrong... i hope!

trancepriest, u got those sticks from owc? any problems at all? the difference is that my mac pro is dual core, not the quad, might be different? i understand is the same motherboard only the processor is different... ??:confused:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I had 12 bad chips from Crucial. Went with OWC (4x2GB) from OWC, the first batch was perfect. Zero issues. Go for it!

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
trancepriest, u got those sticks from owc? any problems at all? the difference is that my mac pro is dual core, not the quad, might be different? i understand is the same motherboard only the processor is different... ??:confused:

I got em from Crucial. No problems whatsoever. I'm not sure what the differences would be.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
...but as i've read on these forums, the 32gb possibility doesn't work because of the bus can't handle that much information, so i want to know if it's true, and if anyone has tried the 4gb sticks yet?

Yes it works. Just get some good sticks.

Attachments

• 32GB.jpg
    32GB.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 311

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I noticed when I went from 1 to 2, and even 2 to 4. But from 4 to 8, not much a difference. I don't know why I even bothered with 16GB, even with multiple audio/video editing and compositing apps running. But it's getting cheaper now, I'd say just go for it if Maxwell with actually use it, and you use all those apps together all the time. 32 will work. Get what you can afford as you can afford it. It'll be better than 2GB. Though by the time 32 becomes more viable, it might be cheaper even to get 16 now and 32 later.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
For those of you that purchased OWC RAM...which did you get:

OWC Apple Qualified - with the same stock style heatsinks

or

OWC Mac Pro Certified - with the Netlist modules with the flat heatsinks

I had the Netlist ones at one point, with the flat heatsinks (although I thought I ordered the others)...and I returned them with ECC errors.

-Kevin

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
For those of you that purchased OWC RAM...which did you get:

OWC Apple Qualified - with the same stock style heatsinks

or

OWC Mac Pro Certified - with the Netlist modules with the flat heatsinks

I had the Netlist ones at one point, with the flat heatsinks (although I thought I ordered the others)...and I returned them with ECC errors.

-Kevin

I got the Apple Qualified. The heatsink is the same design as the Apple RAM. The Netlist ones don't look as substantial to me, although by all reports they work Fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.