4GB of other data

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by white4s, Mar 27, 2013.

1. white4s macrumors 65816

i've seen posts about it but i can't find it sooooo WHAT THE ***** is 4gb of other data doing on my phone? :eek: lol

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. erichess22 macrumors regular

The iOS, all the words and languages your keyboard recognizes, all the files that are on your phone from the get go and everything that requires it to run.

4. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

it makes me nuts and restores do nothing to fix it. i just said let it be and moved on.

5. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

the ios isn't part of that, it's already taken from the total memory of the phone before i even downloaded my first app. i've seen my other data in the past way under 1gb

----------

i'm doing that now thank you

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You're right, the actually OS is pre-calculated into the storage you have when you first get the phone.

However, there will always be Other data on your phone, even out of the box. There are temporary system files stored there needed by the OS. Over time, App Caches, stored messages, etc. show up as "Other" data on your phone. If you have a lot of texts that have not been deleted, as well as a lot of game or other app data, that's most likely the cause of your 4GB of Other occupying your phone.

7. Nam Pla, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

Nam Pla macrumors member

I've been reading and watching these "Other" threads with interest, and some apprehension. I'd recently watched my 'other' storage grow from 900+ MB to 1.27 GB.

It would sometimes get smaller by a bit, then grow by a bit, then smaller again over a few weeks. When I recently did the 6.1.3 update, I took the opportunity to delete a few older emails with pics, cleared some histories and caches, and that sort of thing.

After the update, my 'other' storage dropped from 1.27 GB to 975 MB, which is close to what it normally was most times. It's not a huge headache for me as I've got a 64 GB phone (4s), but I do keep an eye on it. As long as it seems to be managing itself, I'm not really worried about it. :apple:

Edit: And, by the way, I had extremely good luck with the battery life with my present phone. I was really hesitant to do the 6.1.3 update after reading some comments about battery life on this forum. I can say after updating that my battery is as good as is was before the update. (And Safari seems snappier too!) Sometimes I think the worst thing you can do about your battery life is to read too much here!

8. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

i do actually. i have texts from months ago!

----------

lucky you. my battery gets worse each week but i've given up on it lol

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That is likely part of it.

Also, if you're seeing battery issues, a restore might help you. Most recommend not restoring from a backup, but for me, restoring as new and then restoring the backup has successfully cleaned up any issues I was having.

10. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

deleted a whole bunch of texts and it only dropped the other data not even half a gig. i wonder what game data could be involved? i recently downloaded real racing and realized it was 1.8gb!?

i've done all the possible fixes to improve battery life and the times its worked, it only lasted a couple weeks. i've had issues since day one but like a dummy i never went to apple. i believe i have a defective battery or something more serious internally with the phone. it is what it is, 5S coming soon anyway :)

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What kind of battery life are you getting that makes you believe you have a battery issue?

12. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

4 hours or less of usage time, sometimes as bad as 3 and a half. even when i do tests by turning off location and all the lil settings to maximize it, it's still 4 hours and less :eek:

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Depends on what kind of usage. A graphics intensive game takes more battery in the same time than just browsing safari. Same thing for watching videos or any streaming. With how much standby time?

14. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

yea but no matter how i use the phone it still gets the same life, whether games all day or just normal phone usage. less than 10 hours on average

15. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

Yesterday i do restore on my iphone 4. Than restore from backup and before restore the other data was nearly 2GB. Now is showing 600-700MB.

So i think that other data will be always there, even if u restore and set up as new phone.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Less than 10 hours of standby (or usage)?

17. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

standby

18. laudern macrumors 6502a

my other data is 1.10gigs. Would that be considered normal? Ive had the phone since October I think and never restored it