4GB of "Other" files in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AceCoolie, Jul 16, 2010.

1. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I've searched but have not been able to find out what iTunes considers "Other" files. My iPhone 4 is showing that I have over 4 gigs of other files. How do I remove these to free up that space?

Thanks!

2. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

3. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. I've only used iTunes until the other day when I used iPhone Magic to rip some DVD's and copy them to the phone but the other files where in use before then.

4. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Hmmm, Try doing a restore??

5. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

Try changing a few files on the iphone and re syncing. mine did the the same thing the other day but when i re synced it kept on reducing.

6. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Do you have some sound or video recorder apps? They produce large files. Maybe it's that.

7. nvidia2008 macrumors newbie

Hi happened to me, it didn't delete a big video I had recorded. Uncheck Photos, Movies, TV Shows, sync, then re-tick the box for Photos, Movies and TV Shows. That should clean it up.

Otherwise Restore. Good luck :)

----------

Also check apps like CineXPlayer and so on aren't still keeping a lot of files. You can check this at the *bottom* of the Apps tab when you click on the iPhone/iPad on the left side of iTunes.

8. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    Most likely app data, that which is not maintained by the (built-in) Apple apps.

Each third-party app has a "sandbox," a place for general storage, such as word processing documents, and where the app needs to stores working files. For example, in Safari, use the "Open With" command to watch a video file in VLC Media Player. VLC must copy the video file from Safari's "sandbox" into its own. Another example is third-party web browsers. 360 Web Browser, iCab Mobile, and so on have download managers. Anything you download using these apps likely isn't categorized by the OS because it doesn't index those files.

9. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's sorted out now.