4GB of RAM is absolute bliss

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Razeus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Leopards and my Macbook Pro got a bump to 4GB of DDR3 PC8500 RAM over the weekend. My comp simply sings and feels sooo much smoother over the stock 2GB (I thought 2GB would be the minimum). It's like the MBP has more room to breathe now (I've been a Mac user for 9 months now), though with 2GB was no slouch either. Just thought I share this. 4GB is the minimum Leopard should be using!

2. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Congrats! Although I'm curious to see benchmarks on the new DDR3 ram specs, since they use a slower CAS Timing compared to DDR2.

3. wyattbiker macrumors member

Upgraded to 4GB on my MacBook too. It;s night and day. Bought the 4GB for about $60 and did it myself. No need to pay apple store $200 and you get a rebate of $20 on top if you send back the old ones.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It's usually a good idea to keep your old RAM just in case you ever need repairs. Apple has the tendency to not return that RAM when you have issues with the computer.

5. glasserp macrumors regular

Why on Earth would they not return what is yours?

6. RoninXI macrumors regular

It is part of the deal to get the rebate. I have seen it before though I am not sure what they do with it other than maybe recycle it for the silver.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

He's talking about Apple repairs not OWC. OWC rebates are fine.

Apple may or may not return old RAM while doing repairs. Often they may accuse you of damaging something during the RAM upgrade because the RAM doesn't match the original machine spec.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Good to hear your experience.

I should (hopefully) be getting 4GB for my '07 Macbook (I know, it won't address it all, but 3 point something GB is better than the 2GB I have), so it is good to hear that that extra RAM is making that visible of a difference!