4gb or 8gb ram 2012 13 inch lower model

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vdinc, Jun 12, 2012.

1. vdinc macrumors newbie

Should I get 4gb or 8gb of ram with my MBA 2012 13 inch lower end model? I will be using the computer mainly for note taking but I intend to play a little bit of starcraft on it as well

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

3. rygamble macrumors regular

It's only $100 more on a $1000+ computer. Just do it.

4. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

8 is the magic number for sure.

At least it is for me.

5. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Question do you think you'd have any problems with only going with 4gb? i'm not too worried about being future proof for more than 2 years

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

For the kind of use you describe, I'm sure that 4GB should be adequate. There's certainly no harm in getting 8gb if you can afford it though. But I have a 2011 MBA with 4GB and run pro applications like Logic and Final Cut Pro with no issues. I would have gone with 8GB if it had been available, but I'm not sure if it would have made much difference.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

Get the 8gb especially if you care about resale value. I remember the very vocal few here 2 years ago who kept saying '2gb is enough, 4gb is overkill' The difference in resale value between the 2gb vs 4gb machines is more than the $100 initially charged.

8. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Your both right i think, my only concern is the only reason i'm looking to move away from my C2D macbook is i'm starting to beach ball on sandvox and i've already upgraded the HDD to SSD so don't want to shell out more money to find i'm still beach balling for the same thing

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I went from a 4GB 2008 c2d 15" MBP to the 2011 i5 MBA and the speed difference was quite dramatic. The CPU seems to be almost twice as fast. I'm sure you will see an even bigger difference in the 2012 MBA.

But since it sounds like you might have nagging doubts if you get the 4GB, then why not just get the 8GB? I can't think of a reason not to, unless you just can't afford it.

10. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Think your right, it would be worth waiting in order to be sure i'll be happy with it, i'm slightly short on the 8gb upgrade. my macbook is still chugging away and i have a workhorse of an iMac so i don't think i'll have any problems waiting.

Wanting something and needing something are very different things.

Thanks for the advice.

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Can you upgrade the RAM by yourself on these machines like the MBP?

12. soulston macrumors newbie

No

13. luigionlsd macrumors newbie

Really wish I had read this prior to yesterday when I ordered the 4 :/

Just realized this afternoon that it's soldered to the board and not user replaceable... guess I'll return my 4gb and order an 8gb when it arrives.

14. Kungshi macrumors member

You're not out of hope. There may still be time. On the "thank you for your order" email apple sends out, if you click on the "Order Status" link through that email it will tell you if you can modify the order. So give that a try before settling or sending the machine back.