+4GB RAM - 2 sticks or 1? OWC?

uRabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Hi all. Looking at getting 4 more GB or RAM for my iMac. 4 just isn't cutting it on this beast. TS3 plays pretty dang laggy.

Can I combine the stock memory with OWC memory? I know that in the PC world, when I was building my former PC, everyone suggested running the same brand of memory.

Also, should I go with one stick or two? Both options cost about the same at OWC.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mixing RAM is fine. I would get one stick because it leaves you an empty slot for future upgrades.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
You can run stock + OWC without a problem. Doesn't really mater if you choose 4GB (1x4GB) or 4GB (2x2GB), but buying the (1x4GB) will make upgrading in the future cheaper.

For instance, if you wanted to upgrade to 8GB in the future, you would just need another 4GB stick. If you had the (2x2GB), you would have to toss those aside and buy (2x4GB).

Go with the single stick IMO, if both options are within the same price range.

uRabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Mkay. Didn't know if 2x2GB sticks would handle cache or processing better or whatever. That's why I asked. :)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
for future refence, ALWAYS buy the largest sticks of ram that you can get or that your machine will accept.

1) As others have said, it leaves future upgrades open without having to remove any other ram

2) Almost always about the same price or just a few $$ cheaper per GB than the smaller sticks :)

ram, bam, thankyama'am :eek:

multicore

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
I just bought last month for a new iMac from Crucial and 4GB was $27 and 8GB was $42, just $15 more to double the amount added to the stock 4GB.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I just upgraded my Mid 2007 iMac from 4GB to 6GB (the max for this machine, unfortunately).

Difference is night and day. Absolutely amazing how much more snappiness™ I get.

You can never have too much RAM.

-t

uRabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2011
I just upgraded my Mid 2007 iMac from 4GB to 6GB (the max for this machine, unfortunately).

Difference is night and day. Absolutely amazing how much more snappiness™ I get.

You can never have too much RAM.

-t
You can if you're on a 32-bit system! ;) Or, if you outdo your machine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a mid 2007 iMac and the max amount of RAM is 4gb.

How did you manage to get 6gb in there?
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I have a mid 2007 iMac and the max amount of RAM is 4gb.

How did you manage to get 6gb in there?
I just put it in :)

OWC sells 6GB for those models. Glad they do, the difference is huge. Especially with Parallels running.

-t