+4GB RAM - 2 sticks or 1? OWC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uRabbit, Jan 7, 2012.

1. uRabbit macrumors member

Hi all. Looking at getting 4 more GB or RAM for my iMac. 4 just isn't cutting it on this beast. TS3 plays pretty dang laggy.

Can I combine the stock memory with OWC memory? I know that in the PC world, when I was building my former PC, everyone suggested running the same brand of memory.

Also, should I go with one stick or two? Both options cost about the same at OWC.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mixing RAM is fine. I would get one stick because it leaves you an empty slot for future upgrades.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You can run stock + OWC without a problem. Doesn't really mater if you choose 4GB (1x4GB) or 4GB (2x2GB), but buying the (1x4GB) will make upgrading in the future cheaper.

For instance, if you wanted to upgrade to 8GB in the future, you would just need another 4GB stick. If you had the (2x2GB), you would have to toss those aside and buy (2x4GB).

Go with the single stick IMO, if both options are within the same price range.

4. uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

Mkay. Didn't know if 2x2GB sticks would handle cache or processing better or whatever. That's why I asked. :)

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

for future refence, ALWAYS buy the largest sticks of ram that you can get or that your machine will accept.

1) As others have said, it leaves future upgrades open without having to remove any other ram

2) Almost always about the same price or just a few $$ cheaper per GB than the smaller sticks :)

ram, bam, thankyama'am :eek:

6. multicore macrumors member

I just bought last month for a new iMac from Crucial and 4GB was $27 and 8GB was $42, just $15 more to double the amount added to the stock 4GB.

7. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my Mid 2007 iMac from 4GB to 6GB (the max for this machine, unfortunately).

Difference is night and day. Absolutely amazing how much more snappiness™ I get.

You can never have too much RAM.

-t

8. uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

You can if you're on a 32-bit system! ;) Or, if you outdo your machine.

9. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I have a mid 2007 iMac and the max amount of RAM is 4gb.

How did you manage to get 6gb in there?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It can unofficially take 6GB.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

12. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I just put it in :)

OWC sells 6GB for those models. Glad they do, the difference is huge. Especially with Parallels running.

-t