4gb Ram -> 8gb Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeSweeet, May 27, 2010.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

My uMBP currently has 4GB RAM (DDR3 1066MHz). How much of a performance boost would I see if I upgrade to 8GB RAM? I do pretty much everything you can think of (office/productivity apps, audio/video editing, gaming, etc)? 2x4GB sticks are $238 on eBay.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The question is do you need more RAM. Install the iStat widget and see what the page outs/ins are looking like.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Do you run any software (istat, istat menus, etc) that will allow you to monitor your memory usage? I believe there is a 14 day trial of istat menus, you should try running it for a few days to see how we'll your holding up with 4gb.

Either way, the price of 8GB has dropped SO much over the past few months, it might be worth it. OWC (macsales.com) has their NuRAM for $250 as well, which is always either micron/samsung memory. (aka, good stuff)

4. vant macrumors 65816

Ram is like a hard drive. It's not like a CPU or gpu.

You can increase a HD from 100gb to 1tb, but if you never go near capacity of 100gb, the extra space is useless.

Just load up activity monitor and check how much free/inactive ram you have during your workload. If it's less than 1gb, you might benefit from an upgrade.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes 8GB of RAM will help you with that you're doing.

6. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

After thinking about it, I guess 4GB RAM is enough for me.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party software to check RAM usage and paging. Activity Monitor does that just fine.

8. melvinchien macrumors newbie

x2. Although its a bit relative, I think that if your page outs are like over 100k, you could use the extra ram.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

IMHO iStat widget is easier to use once installed. OP either way will suffice.