4GB ram for alu macbook under 100$ from newegg

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jinsou, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

G.Skill is pretty well known as a "cheap" but very good and reliable RAM company, so I don't think there's any problem buying from them.

However, OWC/macsales has RAM for under $90. So I guess that might be a better deal.

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone ever done the mail-in rebate with OWC? $86 for the RAM and they offer $25 for the old one... not a bad deal.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is it worth $25 not to have spare RAM in case you end up with a problem?

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

This is going to be my next upgrade.. and the good thing is that the price keeps dropping.

Not to me, I would definitely keep my old one around in case of emergency. I would hate to be stuck without my laptop for any number of days..

6. pw1388 macrumors member

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't risk it, the new Macbooks are supposedly very picky with timings and speeds... I'd just stick to PC8500.

8. technojinn macrumors newbie

i just upgraded from apple to 4 gig. i paid 135 dollars for 4 gig factory. I think that if you upgrade yourself, the saving are marginal. I think that $ 135 is pretty reasonable.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you have 2 spare 1GB sticks in case something happens?

Apple's price for RAM is much better than in the past but they still give you no credit for the 2GBs you paid for in the stock configuration.

10. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

eBay is a good spot if you can get there at the right time and find the right listing…

G.Skill is a great brand from what I've read :)

11. technojinn macrumors newbie

You brought up a good point about not getting the 2gb credit in the stock configuration. But I figured will all the ram problems plaguing some macbook alu user, original apple ram is one of the best options. anything happens, it is their problem, i'll let applecare deal with it.

also if you have a spare 2 gb, then you are not getting anything for it either, it just sits there, the end result is about the same.

12. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That's a smokin' deal from a reputable source. What's the catch?:D

13. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I'd be curious to hear if folks are running into problems still with RAM upgrades on the MB Aluminum. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Has the firmware update helped any of this? I hope it's not a hardware issue on the Motherboard.

14. Catacang macrumors newbie

I'm curious about this issue too.
    It seems that most of the complaining about this issue slowed down, maybe the firmware did help (?).
    I sent an e-mail to Crucial regarding this subject but, as expected, they denied major issues with their RAM sticks on the new unibody Macbook...
    By the way, there seems to be no talk about DDR3 price drops, so I imagine that only when DDR3 becomes widespread among platforms and manufacturers we should expect major price drops. Do you agree?

15. amrk47 macrumors regular

i dont think there was any problem with upgrading ram on the new macbooks to begin with

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats the ram I'm using. Works great, don't have any picky ram issues that plagued the MacBook/Pros

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I'm using the Crucial 4G upgrade recommended by their system scanner with my MB 2.4GHz Alu and did the installation myself. I was having the occasional freeze before the new FW came out a few weeks ago. Since then I haven't had a single abnormal lockup, crash, etc.

I paid ~$150 at the time. I still have the original 2x1G sticks which I guess I could put on Ebay...

18. 01254 macrumors newbie

19. Flanno macrumors newbie

Hi,
    This is my 1st post.

I just bought my Macbook (unibody 2.4ghz) a week ago, after a long break from Macs (system 7 was last encounter with a mac). Have now given up PC's after nearly 20 years :D

I am also very interested in a 4gig upgrade kit and of course I am also wondering if the problems users reported with 4gigs of ram are still occuring. From reading the links below some users are still having issues even after the firmware upgrades and have to resort to running 3gigs ram.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/new-macbook-firmware-update-doesnt-resolve-memory-issues/

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1757875&tstart=0

However this thread I am posting on would indicate many users are happy with their 4gig upgrade. I'd be going down the Crucial route. Live in Ireland, and delivery from Crucial which is based in Scotland is only 2 days and they guarantee compatability or money back.

Thanks