4GB Ram for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by machomer, Apr 29, 2008.

?

Which memory have you used and recommend for MBP?

1. OWC

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Crucial

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Other - state below

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. machomer macrumors regular

There's several threads that discuss memory for the MBP. Some say Crucial, OWC, etc. I want to install 4GB, but it seems there are conflicting reports on certain memory that will work properly.

From people who have installed the RAM and works, who do you recommend and which to stay away from?

My configuration is below.
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Buying from either OWC or Crucial will guarantee that it's compatible - go for whichever one is cheapest atm.

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I seem to remember going through OWC and haven't had any problems yet. I haven't looked recently, but last time I looked RAM for the MBP line was dirt cheap. Go for it!

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

my friend went with owc got the exact match that they reccomended for his system on the website, after installing it he kept getting kernel panic errors on his system. returned it and went with crucial no problems since.

5. rjp macrumors regular

There's nothing worse than a scared kernel ;-)

6. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone else had issues with OWC memory?

I looked at the crucial.com page and they seem to offer many types with no brands? Any advice on how to select from crucial.com if I go that route? They range from $99 to $399, what's with the disparity?

7. rjp macrumors regular

G Skill Latency 4?

I've been reading that some folks are using the newer lower latency RAM from G Skill (Latency 4 vs Latency 5). Anyone else have experience with this product? Supposedly the macbooks can take advantage of the lower latency to run faster. I'm still waiting to hear if this is really true before buying (79 bucks vs 65).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231154

See also,
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=459726&page=2

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Buy the cheapest RAM on Newegg that has 5-star reviews from consumers that bought it for the penryn MBP

9. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm debating to buy from the either OWC or Crucial.

Crucial - http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=722F2AF1A5CA7304
    No brand, for $109 for a 4GB kit.

OWC - http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/
    OWC sells several different brands, OWC, Samsung, Micron. OWC brand has two 4 GB kits one that is Low Latency. What is Latency and is this worth the additional price ($118 instead of $92)

Is there a difference between the brands, OWC, Crucial, Samsung Micron? If not, should I just go with the cheapest considering Latency is not a benefit?

Thanks all

10. ra noodle Guest

machomer

i'm not bad mouthing OWC but i got what an Apple store genius later gave me a print out on the memory i had gotten from them for MBP15 2.0....i didn't understand what it meant other than the suggestion to return it /get it out before it wrecked my computer/if it didnt already...i returned it and OWC replaced it and i haven't had what i had before....so reading all the rest here i'd suggest you go with majority favors, i guess any could go bad but some places are better...i have a full HD that OWC replaced the 80gb so i will eventually get a larger one from OWC hopefully they will again put it in for me...they have been great in that they installed it for me-i am disabled and cant do these things...so i would tell you OWC because they have 100% guarantee replacement......

11. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

it really makes no difference. both are reputable companies. plus, the odds that you'll get bad RAM are quite low. I wouldn't worry- go with whatever is cheaper at the moment, or, if you want, let the poll decide. for what it's worth, I upgraded my MBP recently with 2 GB RAM from Crucial and it works like a charm!

12. rjp macrumors regular

13. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Barefeats.com tested CL4 RAM and it tested out to about 1% improvement in performance over CL5 RAM.

That's an Apple person fear-mongering. Any brand of RAM can have a failure, and if RAM fails it will NOT wreck your computer. There is a small chance that a bad stick of RAM will corrupt data on your hard drive if you continue using it. But in the vast majority of cases bad RAM will either not show up, or cause the machine to fail to boot, or cause it to kernel panic. A reputable seller will replace the RAM under warranty with no hassle. Check the shipping policies on warranty return before purchasing. Some sellers charge the customer shipping on warranty, and/or have a restocking charge.

For a company to list Mac compatibility, it makes a commitment that their RAM build is Mac compatible, and will continue to be. Some companies do not want to go through the trouble of testing on Macs, so they don't make that commitment. Other companies want the flexibility to change their designs without notice to keep production costs low. As a general rule, you would not expect much in the way of Mac support from a company that doesn't state Mac compatibility. If you're OK with being on your own, then that may be fine. If you want some backing on it, stick with a vendor who states compatibility.