4GB RAM for MBP 2.33GHz??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ~J~, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

First question - will my MBP recognize all 4 gigs? Looking at Corsair & Kingston, anyone have any experience with these 2 brands in their MBP?

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Go here and pull up the exact model you want. Shouldn't make a difference between 15" and 17" models of the 2.33 but as you can see you can get a 4 gig set for it. I have the 2.4 and run 4 gigs beautifully.

As for brands, I got OWC and haven't had a problem yet. Enjoy!

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

It will see the 4gig but will only use 3072MB cause of the chipset. I have 4gig in my 2.33ghz and it flies.

4. hondje macrumors member

I have similar thoughts

I have the same MBP and have first thought that perhaps I should sell it and get the new one when it comes out. Perhaps it is good to just upgrade RAM and HD space. I have too have wondered if this MBP will recognize 4GB.

5. hondje macrumors member

Djinn, If the computer only recognizes 3GB, then why do 4?

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Dual channel... If you put 1GB stick with a 2GB stick the memory won't run in dual channel.

7. hondje macrumors member

Sorry for being such a newb. Can you help me understand this better?

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You will benefit from 4GB RAM under the matching pairs concept. Your speed will be 3.3GB.

Read the guide on this site. I went crucial RAM.

edit: Courtesy of Mac Rumors Intel RAM Guide

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wait... how do you know which MBP he has? If he has a more recent one it will support the full 4GB...

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Thread title states 2.33.

11. hondje macrumors member

I know it wasn't my thread, but I appreciate all the help. I understand now. Thanks.

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have 4GB in my 2.33. 2x2GB sets are CHEAP! Why not fun the most RAM you can and get your memory running dual-channel! I also put in a 7200RPM and the thing flies.

When 8GB in a laptop is available, affordable, and "necessary" I will likely upgrade. Until then my laptop flies!

13. mfinocchiaro macrumors newbie

mfinocchiaro

4 GB in the MBP 2.33 GHz

I just did that upgrade using memory from 18004.com. Pretty cool but strange...the Mac boots and says it has 4 GB and initially, it seems that it seems about 3.3 GB of it. However, about 1/2 hour later, there is only 3 GB but I do feel a performance boost from the dual-channel stuff.
    Just can't justify forking out another 2-3k euros for a new laptop for just a gig as much as I'd like the headroom...
    I'm all for 8 GB laptops too :D

14. ipo macrumors member

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

How the h... do you 'feel' the performance boost from the dual-channel unless you have tried running the MBP with only 3 GB RAM first?
    Chances are you only feel a performance boost from running 3 GB...

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You'd be wasting your money since your computer only can use 3.25gb. Unless you meant upgrade to a new computer.

17. mfinocchiaro macrumors newbie

mfinocchiaro

I've been running w/ a 1 GB SO-DIMM and 2 GB SO-DIMM for quite a while and just bought a matching 2 GB SO-DIMM. So the improvement that I am seeing is the increased bandwidth from bus to memory due to the matching memory cards. Or at least it feels a bit faster. I figured $50 for a SO-DIMM for a little more performance was cheaper than $3000 for a new Santa Rosa MBP for 1 GB more memory even if I drool to think about the Peryn-based MBPs...
    Cheers,
    Fino