4GB RAM in first-gen MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefunkymunky, Jan 21, 2008.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hey,

Crucial UK currently have 4GB for only £65. I know the page I've linked to is for a newer MBP than mine but I want to know if the first-gen MacBook Pro can take 2GB modules? I know at the time Apple says it can only take 1GB modules but I am wondering if this is a hardware limitation or simply 2GB modules weren't available when the first-gen started shipping. Can the Core Duo chipset support 2GB modules?

Thanks.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Play.com sells a 2GB stick for only about 27 quid.

3. jne381 macrumors regular

Hardware limitation.

No notebooks were able to hold 4GB until the Santa Rosa chipset was in them.

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

download the mac-scanner thing from crucial.. it will tell you what you can add to your MBP..

5. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't atm as I'm in work but as jne381 said, I am pretty sure its a hardware limitation anyway.:rolleyes:

6. DaveSM macrumors member

First gen macbook pro can be upgraded to 3 gig max. The newer MBP with Santa Rosa chipset can be upgraded up to 4 gig of RAM. So you should be able to run a 2+1 config but I'm not that sure of the beneficts you'll get as you'll lose dual-channeling. Running Dual-channel gives a little boost in memory efficiency. But I can't tell wether 2+1 is better then 1+1 because I don't have enough experience messing with RAM.

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

That's actually the 2nd gen MBP with a Core 2 Duo CPU. My understanding is that you can actually install 2x2GB SODIMMs in these machines, but only 3.2GB of memory will be recognized. The documentation available for the Core Duo MBPs all say 1GB maximum per slot.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

No dual-channeling running 3.3 GB outperforms dual-channeling 2 GB.
    I say go for it. At least 1 + 2 GB modules.

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The first two sentences of my post were referring to my late 2006 C2D MBP. The last sentence of my post referred to the OP's Core Duo machine. As far as I can tell, he's maxed out at 2GB total memory.

10. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah guys at the moment I am maxed out with 2GB RAM. I very much doubt I will see any performance increase going from dual-channel 2GB to single-channel 3GB in a 1GB/2GB config, even if that did work in my machine.

Thanks anyway.