Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I know it's easy to do in the Santa Rosa Macbook's, but my Macbook is not a Santa Rosa one, but the 2.16Ghz one that was released at the beginning of the summer.

Right now I'm doing a bunch of different things, like ripping and encoding DVD's, seeding torrents, installing and running Ubuntu linux in Parallels, 6 or 7 tabs in Safari, and more. My question is, is it even possible to use more than 2 gigs in an older Core 2 Duo Macbook, and if it is, would it be worth it to spend $90 to upgrade to four gigs of RAM?

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
If you install 4 I believe it will only recognize 3.

And if you have 2 gigabytes its in a 2x1 gigabyte configuration probably. So you'd have to buy 2x2 gigabyte sticks to get 4 gig.

But since it will only recognize 3, just get a 2gb stick and swap it in for on of the 1 gb sticks you have in there.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Only worth it for the Santa Rosa models.

Attachments

• 4gb.png
    4gb.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 59

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I know it's easy to do in the Santa Rosa Macbook's, but my Macbook is not a Santa Rosa one, but the 2.16Ghz one that was released at the beginning of the summer.

Right now I'm doing a bunch of different things, like ripping and encoding DVD's, seeding torrents, installing and running Ubuntu linux in Parallels, 6 or 7 tabs in Safari, and more. My question is, is it even possible to use more than 2 gigs in an older Core 2 Duo Macbook, and if it is, would it be worth it to spend $90 to upgrade to four gigs of RAM?

If you are hitting a RAM ceiling, 3GB (in whatever form) will be much better than 2. If you go for 2X2GB rather than 1X2GB and 1X1GB, the only difference is the activation of dual-channel which yields a 5-7% speed increase.

kbuddha

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
New York, New York
If you are hitting a RAM ceiling, 3GB (in whatever form) will be much better than 2. If you go for 2X2GB rather than 1X2GB and 1X1GB, the only difference is the activation of dual-channel which yields a 5-7% speed increase.

I am new to Macs. My girl has used them for years, but doesn't know much technically about them. I am a PC guy, but when it comes to macs i know very little. I just got a macbook 2.16ghz. How can I tell what is "Santa Rosa" or "Regular" ? Help!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.