4gb ram necessary with SSD drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kanpachi, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

could someone please advise whether 4gb of ram is necessary (vs 2gb) with a solid state drive installed in a mbp? i assume the caching is already super fast on the ssd, so not sure if having more ram would even be helpful.. i do a lot of photoshop work and i know that it's a ram hog, but perhaps might not be necessary to have so much.. also i realize that ram is pretty cheap (around $60), but would prefer to save the money if possible

thanks in advance for any insight

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

An SSD is just like a fast hard drive. It doesn't change the amount of RAM you need.

Accessing data in RAM is still going to be way faster than accessing data on an SSD.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Agreed, and running PS, more RAM is better any day and not replaceable by a SSD. If you fear the Apple tax just buy your RAM at the OWC online. 4GB shouldn't throw you far behind, considering that you willing to spend money on SSD.

4. kanpachi thread starter macrumors regular

okay great thanks for the confirmation guys..

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

SSD as an upgrade makes a MUCH bigger difference than a RAM upgrade too :)

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It can, but if you're very constrained by the amount of RAM you have (and you're not I/O-bound) then adding more RAM will make a greater difference.