4GB RAM Performance Increase

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caldavey, Jan 21, 2008.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

I have a MacBook Pro base model C2D and I was thinking of going up the line to 4GB. I mostly use my computer for movies, internet, photos, and a lot of games. Will this offer much of a performance increase for those kinds of things? Also, where can I get 2x 2GB memory sticks for the MBP for cheap?
    I found these; will these work in my MBP? http://cgi.ebay.com/2x2GB-APPLE-MAC...oryZ4601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Here's what I'm using. OWC isn't that bad either. A user here posted some issues with 2 x 2 GB Patriot RAM a short while back.

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

As far as buying RAM goes www.macsales.com is pretty good. You can even get them to buy back your current sticks. Not bad at all.

Edit: Eidorian snuck in a moment before me :)

4. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

With your current uses, does your computer normally use up the 2 GBs you have? Are there a lot of page-outs?

If you don't currently tax your 2 gigs, 4 gigs shouldn't make a difference.

5. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Well, I'll be playing COD2, installing Windows XP soon, (just purchased on eBay for an AMAZING price) and playing games such as BF2 and COD4. So I don't know if it will make a difference but I saw a bunch of these videos of this guy who had a the middle model of MBP's and had 4GB RAM and was playing a bunch of games like COD4 and they looked amazing. That link you sent me had 4 GB RAM for only $99.99!!!! That's incredible!! But I don't know if I'll need it... But I have to admit that is an amazing deal.