4gb RAM question, Re: CanadaRAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TooFastForLove, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

I'll likely be buying an SR Macbook after Macworld next week, and I plan on upgrading the RAM to 4gb. Past experience with Crucial was great, but I got dinged on shipping since I'm in Canada.

SO: I'm lurking the CanadaRAM site today and I notice 4 different options:
    Certified 50190x2 SALE $119
    Transcend 50190Ex2 SALE $100
    Techworks 12683-0001x2 $119
    Kingston KTA-MB667K2/4G $123

I'm on a bit of a budget, but I'd also like reliable RAM! Are these really all that different from one another?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, you can wait for CanadaRAM to drop by and give you the full scoop, or you can contact them directly through their site if you want to hear it from them.

But any of them will be fine, so there's no good reason to go with anything but the cheapest. Canada RAM is a solid company, so they'll take care of you if you have any problems.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I'd get the Kingston Ram it's excellent you defiantly don't want cheap ram.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And why is that? As long as the RAM is compatible, RAM is RAM. Canada RAM tests their modules and guarantees compatibility, so I see no reason to waste $23.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Whatever. I just don't buy no name computer parts.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

A sucker born every minute? A fool and his $$ are easily parted. You sir, are the stereotype :)

7. pr5owner macrumors 65816

sorry but Kingston ram is cheap garbage, even their hyperx line is sub par with OCZ, Patriot, Muskin and Super Talent

oh because brand names actaully make their own products right? just like apple actaully manufactures your MBP? LMAO!!

Ram is not just Ram that is the worse comment to date....

thats like saying PC-2100 ram is the same as PC2-10000 ram (yes the PC2-10,000 1+GHz ram from corsair)

sure they both are RAM, they may even have the same color of PCB that doesnt mean they are the same.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He qualified it with "as long as the RAM is compatible, RAM is RAM." I suppose, to be nitpicky, one could say "as long as the RAM is compatible and meets the requirements for the system, RAM is RAM".

The only valid difference I see in prices involves warranties and return policies.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

First off I don't have a MacBook Pro and I know apple doesn't manufacture them. The reason I buy brand name is because of warranty With kingston you get lifetime.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For some reason I thought this was about CanadaRAM the member. :)

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For those who don't know, CanadaRAM the member runs CanadaRAM the site, and he's very meticulous about not promoting his site here. Of course, he'd obviously be free to answer any questions the OP or others might have. :) But he tends to bend over backwards to not appear biased. Too far, sometimes. ;)

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Certified RAM sold by CanadaRAM is also lifetime warranted, 100% guaranteed.

I use the Certified from CanadaRAM in my iMacs and have had no problems. Highly recommended.

13. welders4mac macrumors member

welders4mac

Go with the Techworks,

Works fine, look at my Profile pic :D
    Japanese Quality all the way!