4GB RAM slots in a mac pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sevichenko, Nov 16, 2016.

1. sevichenko macrumors regular

Hi mates, do you know which type of 4GB RAM is accepted by the mac pro 3,1?
    Normal FB-DIMM ECC PC6400 DDR2 800MHZ modules?

2. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

3. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

I see: "By default, it was configured with 2 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 EEC "fully-buffered" FB-DIMM". (emphasis mine)

4. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

But... Im asking about 4gb modules. Because with the 8gb slots there are some differences because is a configuration that works up to 64gb, then im asking because i don't if its the same with the 4gb modules

5. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Same. You can fit up to 32 GB RAM into a 3,1 using 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB modules.

6. ponchorage macrumors newbie

ponchorage

667 MHz will also work and can be found much cheaper. It's slightly slower but might be worth the cost difference.

7. orph macrumors 6502a

yes you can use 4GB ram sticks in matched pairs, it only says 2gb sticks as 2gb was the biggest at the time i think.

and i used 667 sticks in my 3.1 because they where a lot cheaper

8. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Take a look at macsales.com. They have pretty good pricing, and a very clear configuration guide (as in how many sticks of what size memory).

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

At least the prices are good for OWC. You'll probably find them much cheaper elsewhere.

This is especially true since FB-DIMM servers have reached that "certain age" where they're out of support and fully depreciated - in other words they're being eWasted by the truckload. DIMMs scraped from those systems are on eBay for a pittance. (I eWasted my last 60 or so FB-DIMM systems last October (2015).)

10. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Yepp, I've found parted-out servers on ebay the best source for fb-dimms.

11. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

thanks to everyone! i'm on spain and i have to find some modules here

12. ponchorage macrumors newbie

ponchorage

13. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

14. ponchorage macrumors newbie

ponchorage

Only about a 4% performance difference between the two and the 667 MHz are generally a lot less expensive. http://barefeats.com/harper5.html

15. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

but i already have 10gigas at 800mhz, if i put only 2gb of 667mhz ram, then i will have 12gb with a 4% performance less.

16. ponchorage macrumors newbie

ponchorage

Tradeoffs, right? Gotta do what's best for you. I'd probably be adding more than just 2 GB more. If you're adding 8 GB more then it might be worth it for you to lose the 4%.

17. ITguy2016 Suspended

The performance improvement from having an appropriate amount of RAM is going to significantly offset the loss of using slower RAM. Outside of benchmark testing I would bet most users couldn't tell the difference between 667MHz and 800MHz RAM.

18. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

19. orph macrumors 6502a

Itguy2016 has it, depends on user workload but to little ram is much much much worse than a potential of 4% slower.
    the key word is potential because it depends on the workload.
    if you happen to have to use the scratch disc/swap etc then the slow down is much much more than 4%.

lots of people use x-server ram from ebay with smaller heat sinks, i think the 2gb and 4gb sticks run cooler too (1gb sticks are just not worth buying unless your picking them up to get the heat sinks, back in the day people picked up the 512mb sticks to get the heat sinks and stick them on 4GB sticks.

:p i spent close to the price of a used 4.1/5.1 on ram for my 3.1 :D i dont miss it (got a 5.1 now)

20. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

i will use photoshop and maybe after effects/premiere

21. orph macrumors 6502a

use activity monitor and watch ram use, if your geing in to swap then you have to little.
    relay depends on workload.

if your using server ram from ebay with small heat sinks it's super cheep so not a real problem, if your buying ram with "mac" heatsinks then it tend's to cost a lot, whihc is a pain.

as i mentioned i spent almost as much as my mac 5.1 cost on 3.1 ram towards then end of my use of the 3.1 (part of why up upgraded)

22. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

23. orph macrumors 6502a

lots of people as i mentioned have just used the small server heat sink, the fans may spin faster but the ram is much much cheeper.

do a search there's lots of topics on it

24. sevichenko thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info, i heard something about the fan speed, but i don't know up to what point there is only an "aestethic" problem