4GB RAM Sticks for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dreadkid08, Apr 23, 2009.

1. dreadkid08 macrumors member

dreadkid08

2. dreadkid08 thread starter macrumors member

dreadkid08

thats for the 17" macbook pro. im curious about the 13" macbook

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I believe the maximum RAM capable in the 13" Macbook is 6gb. 1x4gb and 1x2gb sticks. However, in doing that you're losing the dual channel abilities, so it's probably better just to use 2x2gb.

4. dreadkid08 thread starter macrumors member

dreadkid08

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's for the 13", but with RAM sticks from the 17".

ayeying from that thread (with photos, identifying the MB and not MBP 17") I linked to in my earlier post:

Unibody w/ 8GB Ram and results..
    It crashed. lol.

I had a kernel panic using the 2x 4GB memory sticks from my 17" MacBook Pro. At first, the system was very responsive and strong. Once I started reaching the 4GB mark, the system suddenly crashed with no warning. I've attempted this 4 times and all concluded with the same result.

Here's a few photos. I apologize for the extremely horrible quality. I took it at 1/1600 shutter speed in very minimal light thinking I had the camera on Auto. I didn't notice until I imported the pictures into the system.

Some notes: When the 17" UMBP was introduced with the capability of having 8GB ram, people asked if it was possible to use a MBP's copy of OSX (thinking its a possible software issue causing the limitation). The copy of OSX installed here was from my 17". I installed OSX via the 17" UMBP then removed and installed the hard drive into the 13" UMB. It booted up with no problems and it was completely stable.
    Attached Thumbnails

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

that will not work in your computer. that ram is ddr2 your computer uses ddr3. so no it will not work.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

ddr2 and ddr3 don't even use the same socket - they have different number of pins, so it won't work.