4GB RAM sticks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EricTheRed71, Mar 6, 2009.

1. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

I'm looking to buy another mac pro and like many am trying to decide between the 2008 2.8 model & the new models.

One major factor for me is that I would really like to upgrade the new machine to 32GB of RAM. The Mac Pros I am currently using are all at 16GB & it is sometimes not enough (3d, Vray etc).

I noticed that the 4GB sticks for the new macs are over 4x the price of the older FB-DIMMs for the 2008 model.

Is this likely to change very soon or for a 32GB machine am I better off buying a 2008 octo while I still can?

I'm running Windows x64 if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get 4GB ECC RDIMMs cheaper from Crucial ($46.75/GB). While these should work it hasn't been confirmed I don't think. Eitherway 4GB ECC UDIMMs will be out soon enough and will cost less than the RDIMMs.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Somehow, I don't think Apple disabled the ability to use Registered DDR3, but I've not seen anything conclusive.

The UDIMM's will certainly be a less expensive alternative, and still retain ECC. :)

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I would think anything that should work will work, but it's Apple so I'm not going to say "yeah go buy the memory from Crucial" before someone has tested it ;)

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand where you're coming from. ;) :D