4GB RAM to 3?????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrb1946, Nov 22, 2008.

1. mrb1946 macrumors newbie

am running OS X 10.4.11 on a "Santa Rosa" (Late 2007) MacBook. I bought it with 1GB of RAM. A few weeks ago I purchased 4GB or RAM. I installed it correctly. I then upgraded to Leopard. I was unsatisfied with the enormous RAM usage so I downgraded back to Tiger. The only thing I don't get is in the Activity Monitor for Tiger it shows I only have 3GB of RAM. But when I go to Appe>About This Mac, it says I have 4. In Leopard it also showed that I had 4GB RAM in the Activity Monitor. So, how to I enable that last GB of RAM in my activity Monitor?

-Any help is greatly appreciated

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont know from experience but ive seen others say, even with 4gb only 3 is useable.. I could be wrong but like i said ive seen others say this.

3. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Not surprised as Tiger is not a supported OS on these systems, which shipped with Leopard.

If I were you I'd reinstall Leopard. In their normal configuration, these machines have no problem recognizing and using 4 (or 6) GB of RAM.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Your MacBook must have shipped with Leopard although I suspect it is not a Santa Rosa machine. Please check under Apple>about this Mac>more info.

Your machine is likely a MacBook 2,1 (ie not Santa Rosa 3,1) which is why it can only address 3GB of ram......

5. mrb1946 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is a 2.1. I just found that out. haha, sorry. But I'm back in Leopard now and it shows all the RAM in both the System Monitor, and About this Mac.

-thanks

6. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i dont get it why would you downgrade to tiger in the first place..?
    thats like upgrading xp to vista.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

MacBook 2,1 does not use all 4GB. It only uses ~3.3GB of ram. It is a hardware limitation regardless of what "About This Mac" says.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

what ayeying said, plus... rest assured that it's working fine. and no you didn't waste your money on that extra "wasted" GB. the memory works faster when it's "paired", as yours is.