4GB RAM to 6GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InvalidUserID, Aug 19, 2010.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

My current setup:

Early 2008 MacBook Pro
    2.5 Ghz C2D
    10.6.4 and Windows XP (Bootcamp/Parallels)
    4GB RAM

I've read that I can bump my RAM up to 6GB (despite Apple's said 4GB limit) and with a current sale, I can get a 4GB module pretty cheap so I'm thinking "why not?". I'm planning on installing Windows 7 as well as playing more games on my laptop (my PS3 broke down on me).

Would I realize any noticeable performance difference with the extra RAM in Windows 7 and/or OSX?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Should do.. The leap from 4GB-6/8GB is usually considered the most noticeable. If you can afford it, do it!

3. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

I'm less convinced :(

If were talking games on Windows then you'd have to have one hell of a game to max out 4GB never mined 6GB. Going to 6GB would also result in a loss of dual channel and cut down the bandwidth.

I've got 8GB in my Windows desktop as i do a lot design work and with a lot of heavy apps running at the same time it can soon eat it up a fair amount of RAM but I've never seen a game use 4GB. Mainly down to most games only being 32bit.
    It's all here,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
    Unless coded to do so a 32bit app will only be bale to address 2GB of ram.
    So if you've got 4GB in your system and the game is using all 2GB it can address you've still got 2GB to run Windows and that's more than enough.
    If the game is coded so the process can use up more (3GB for a 32bit game on a 32bit OS or 4GB for a 32bit game on a 64bit OS) then fair cop but I've not seen a game use that much, and yes if the game is 64bit then it can use a lot more but there are very few 64bit games out there :(

There's bigger bottlenecks in a system once you've got a good amount of RAM like 4GB.
    As games aren't going to use that much RAM I'd say stick with 4GB and then you'll benefit from the slightly faster speed of dual channel and still have more than enough RAM.

As there's not a right lot you can do to laptops in terms of upgrades. If you need to squeeze a few extra fps out your rig look at overclocking or and SSD.

Just my take on the gaming aspect.

4. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I would bet you would notice very little performance gain. 4GB is plenty unless you run RAM intensive programs

5. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Just what I was trying to say but i do have a habit of going on a bit :p

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

+1. Get a faster hdd or ssd for a more noticeable performance gain.