4Gb RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guzmansg, Jun 16, 2008.

1. guzmansg macrumors member

http://www.centon.com/memory/products-ddr2/4GB667KITLT

I'm trying to upgrade my Mac's RAM and I'm running into a problem. When I install both 2gb sticks of RAM into the machine, it will not start up. If I install only one 2gb (I've tried both) and leave my original 1gb in place, it will start up with no problem and the system recognizes the fact it now has 3gb installed. How do I fix this? Is it because my RAM isn't compatible?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Have you tried just one of the 2GB sticks alone? When you say it won't start up exactly what happens, just the grey screen? Do you hear any beeps?

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I would get ram that is certified apple compatible from www.macsales.com or someplace like that.

I've also had great luck with G.Skill 4gb kits on Newegg.com

I am not real familiar w/ Centon memory, but the specs seem like they SHOULD work, though if they aren't it'd be worth returning them and seeing what happens with other ram from one of the above sources, not to mention they are both less expensive than what you seem to have purchased.

Also, as stated, what happens when you only put in one of the 2 gig chips you bought?

4. guzmansg thread starter macrumors member

I'll try inserting just one 2gb stick of RAM to see what happens.

When I install both 2gb sticks and power it up, I hear the fan and HDD start up but it shuts down after 5 seconds.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Send it back for a refund.

It sounds as if the SPD settings are not properly written. In any case, it's bad.