Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Since I'm capped at 6GB for my SRMBP, I was wondering if it would be worth the jump from 4GB to 6GB if all I'm doing is basic programming with Xcode, light virtualization, and Photoshop for GUI creation. Let me know what your take is on the potential jump.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not really sure about this but, wouldn't that slow it down a bit? Because the two ram sticks aren't the same so then they won't work with the double data rate thing.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
Not really sure about this but, wouldn't that slow it down a bit? Because the two ram sticks aren't the same so then they won't work with the double data rate thing.

you are thinking of "dual channel", which, correct, typically requires a matching pair. But the performance is negligible and 6GB not in dual channel will have better performance than 4GB in dual channel.

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
As long as your VMs are not using much memory, you should be fine with 4gb.
Check your swap usage in activity monitor from time to time. If it's zero or almost zero, then an upgrade won't give you any improvement at all.

For a real speed boost: Get an SSD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.