4GB vs 2GB RAM?

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
On the new MB, will a see a noticeable difference between having 2gb and 4gb RAM? I'm taking the plunge and installing RAM from Crucial for the first time so it's only about £120 for 4gb, rather than £464 (edu) when direct! I'm not a 'heavy' user - web, Office, iPhoto, iTunes and the odd game here and there, (FM2008 at the moment,) is what i'll be doing.

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
There will be a difference but not a very noticeable one considering what you'll be using it for..

Save the money and put it towards an external HDD for Time Machine ;)

Comment

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
There will be a difference but not a very noticeable one considering what you'll be using it for..

Save the money and put it towards an external HDD for Time Machine ;)
Cheers. Think i'll go for 2gb then. I've already got a nice external so will get AppleCare instead - seems a steal at £49 with the edu discount!

Comment

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
I don't know whether I should use 3gb with 1x1gb + 1x2gb ram or 2x2gb of ram. will it make a big difference using 2x2gb rather than 1x1 and 1x2gb ram??

by using 2x2gb, i know that 700mb will be wasted, but will MBP use the dual channel mode? or is the performance the same as in using 3gb ram with different sticks??

thanks...:confused:

Comment

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
Aye go for 4

The biggest bottleneck on a portable is the HDD and bus, right? Load laptops with RAM whenever practical to do so. Let's not forget the MB's shared VRAM, eh?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.