4gb vs 6gb RAM for 15" '07 Macbook Pro (specifically for video editing)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seanothon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Seanothon macrumors newbie

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Do you find that you need more RAM? Check Activity Monitor while you are going about your normal usage to determine how much you are actually using up.

If you find that four isn't enough, I would just go straight to 8GB as the kits are rather inexpensive.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Don't faff about.

Go for 8 or better, 16gb for video editing. It is cheap now.

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If memory serves me, the RAM maxes out at 6GB for that model...

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Ahhh my bad, didn't see the year... in that case, its a no brainer. Go 6gb.

Given that the OS takes about a gig (roughly) before you load final cut, the difference in available ram for apps is going to be going from 3gb to 5gb - almost double.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Good point, did not even think of that. I checked and it does not specify on the Apple Technical Specifications page but if that is in fact the case, OP, I would still suggest to view Activity Monitor to determine whether or not 4GB will be enough, and if not, go for 6GB.

7. Seanothon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. The RAM does max out at 6. If none of you think there is a problem with the RAM from Mem-Store I will just go with the 6gb. It is only $10-$15 more than the 4gb from OWC.

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

9. Seanothon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is that model but with the 2.4 GHz processor. Any experience with Mem-Store? I'm ready to pull the trigger on some RAM

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I usually stick with Other World Computing for RAM but I hear a lot of good things about Crucial too. OWC RAM is guaranteed to work with Macs but its prices tend to be somewhat higher than other suppliers.

I've never heard of the Mem Store. It's been a while but I seem to recall finding online reviews of RAM suppliers in the past; it would be worth a try if you are considering a purchase from a company you haven't used in the past.