4gb vs 8gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambros, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

Hey everyone, so I know this type of question has been asked previously, but I'd like to know whether or not the upgrade to 8gb of RAM is completely necessary. If I were to purchase a macbook pro 15' today, how long would the 4gb last? Also, I probably wouldn't have more open at one time then say...iTunes, iMovie, Photoshop and Safari at the same time. I would not use a virtual machine, but run Windows OS through bootcamp.

What do you think I need?

Thanks

:apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

8GB would be overkill for your use, unless you edit several 21+MP RAW images in PS, then 8GB might come in handy.

For now, 4GB is sufficient for your usage, and you can always update later, the prices come down eventually.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.1.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1)

Start with four. If you're paging out frequently, you'll always have the option to do it yourself at a later time.

4. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks! So you think maybe wait 2 years and THEN reconsider the situation? Then, if I decide to upgrade RAM will be cheaper anyway?

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Here's a good rule of thumb I go by:

If my page outs are 10% or more of my page ins, then I need more ram.

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I'd go with what others have said. And in 2 years time you may just want to sell off your current laptop and buy a new one.

Keep your options open, you don't need 8GB at the moment so hold off... if anything, RAM prices will also get cheaper too.

7. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. I also found that I can purchase 8gb RAM for cheaper than the upgrade off the Apple website, so if I regret my decision, it won't be a problem anyway :)