4gb vs 8gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dmaynard83, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Dmaynard83, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

What is the advantage of getting the 8gb over the 4gb along with the upgraded processor?

I mean aside from running games faster what other reasons justifying putting up the increased price bump?

I don't plan on doing video editing or anything of that nature.

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

John Siracusa explained it as follows. With more memory, your notebook will be capable of running software for more years into the future. A faster processor gives you higher speed, which doesn't do any good if you can't run the software in the first place.

For now, 8 versus 4 GB doesn't make a difference if you lightly use the notebook.

3. JCSColin macrumors newbie

Personally I would go with 4GB as OS 10.9 (Mavericks) has great memory compression so 4GB goes a long way nowadays.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This is what you want to look at.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865

That thread will tell you exactly what you need. Chances are you will be more than fine with the 4GB model for several years if you aren't doing any video or photo editing, or running VM's. Just check out the link above and add up your score.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Think of RAM as a desk...the larger the desk space, the more you can do with it...

Likewise, with more RAM...the computer can handle running many applications simultaneously and smoothly, without slowing down or lagging.

6. Crugga macrumors regular

I think its down to how you work.
    If you like to keep apps running then you will want more anyway, personally im terrible and will have 30 apps open at a time, it can be using 8gb just because im too lazy to shut down apps before opening another which is lucky ive got 16 although thats because I want the machine for music production and used to find myself maxing 8gb on my old machine.

Get as much as you can afford regardless of what people say, its like buying a 1litre engine car because you only need that much most of the time but there will always be occasions where you want more.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When the computer is running low on ram, it will move pieces of that (called pages) to disk. Obviously, if it needs those pages at some point it needs to read them back into ram. If there's no room, it needs to move something else out. This takes time (relatively speaking) and is much slower then just accessing those memory pages straight from ram. Your application will feel slower if your computer is running low on ram.

The more ram you have the faster it will feel, if you've been running low on resources. How do you tell? Use the activity monitor and see the ram pressure, if its in the red, you're low on ram.

The more applications you have running at once the more ram you'll use. For most typical usages, such as surfing, and emails, 4GB is more then enough.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I wouldn't agree with this at all. It defeats the whole purpose of following the wiki and turns into a waste of money for many users. It's like saying that everyone who is buying a Ford truck, should just buy an F-350 in case they ever need the power.

9. TechZeke, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This post is so full of it I don't even know where to begin.

Who actually has 30 apps running at one time? Plus, your analogy is bogus. Your analogy is equivalent to a pro buying 4GB of RAM when he know he needs to do heavy video editing in Final Cut Pro, simply because he's only surfing most of the time. The point of the wiki is to base the RAM you need off of peak usage. I'm not going to buy a $50000 RAM 3500 Mega Cab when the only thing I do is drive around town, just in the off chance I need to move a freight train.

10. kittencounter macrumors member

Unless everything you do is typing documents, listen to music, very light browsing then 4GB is just Ok for now. For me 4 GB vs 8 GB is out of question. Get the 8 GB if you can afford it. The newer processors are very capable to handle most of the tasks. However if there is not enough RAM you will notice significant slow down when open new applications on top of many that are already open. You will also see some freezes occur while using after a long work session. I'm not doubting everyone because how everyone use their comp is very different from each other. If anyone tell you 4GB is enough ask them what and how heavy they usually use.

11. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Unless you know in the next 4 to 5 years all you are going to do is read emails and read/write office documents, If you're buying a laptop now, particularly with RAM soldered onto the motherboards of new MacBooks you should at least buy 8GB of RAM purely for the sense of future proofing.

Apple has put us in the position where you must future proof if your intent is to keep your Mac beyond its initial 3 year AppleCare period. If you upgrade more regularly then you might want to ignore this and just buy what you need now.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, before you could get 4GB and then if need be upgrade a couple of years later if your needs changed. Now that you cannot do that, you need to over estimate just to be safe.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Fully agreed. I order 16GB to allow for fast batch processing and editing of photos. Also 16GB would be good if you video editing or run killer size spreadsheets or database apps. Those use cases are the exceptions most folks will never have.

14. capathy21, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Since when do we need 4GB of ram to read email or write office docs? That can be done on a 15 year old laptop. People seriously oversell the amount of ram needed.

15. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

So true.

And don't waste your money upgrading the processor. There is literally no difference on the current Haswell 13" models, and it's just throwing money down the drain. Step up to the quad-core or enjoy the 2.4 dual-core which is quite capable.

16. Crugga macrumors regular

Me, im pretty sure im not the only person guilty of being lazy and not shutting down apps when opening another, I spent a lot of money and this is not 1998 so I shouldnt have to.

Then there is ofcourse the futureproofing issue, I might wanna run Windows on my machine next year as a Virtual machine or something although I dont right now. Id be pretty anoyed if a year down the line I found out I pretty much couldnt.

Even doing some basic movies for youtube, I can imagine that being taxing.

While I think this guide is great I think nothing beats real world experience and we really dont know what we will be doing next week. Saying that it has been updated since I last looked on it a few months back as there was no mention of music software on it and it advised me to get 4gb. I was maxing out my old machine at 8gb. Sure if you are running a few built in synths and doing some backing tracks it will be fine but start running multiple instances of omnisphere, kontakt and waves stuff and you might find 16 is pushing it.

My reply might not of been a direct response to the question but that is my view, its not like when you get more ram you are just getting that, you are getting more storage also and your investment will have a higher resale value, I dont see it as a waste of money.

----------

Since when do we need a £/$1000+ laptop to read email or write office docs?

In fairness I use my phone for email now, I really think a lot of people would get by with an Ipad.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Almost all car journeys can be carried out in 15yr old cars...but if you are considering a new MBP the lowest option is 4GB so you possibly need to address that comment to Apple, not to a user trying to choose from the available options.

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Your comment makes no sense. Apple isn't going to sell a machine that won't be usable for years to come. They offer 4GB as the lowest option for light to medium users to have plenty of power for several years.

People talking about 4GB barely being enough to "read emails" is a bunch of nonsense that does nothing to help new users who need accurate information. They don't need some fluff from people who are still stuck in the old spinning hard drive mentality where everyone must have MOAR RAM!!!!!

Follow the wiki, it's perfect for everyone to see how much ram they really need.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I know that but you were commenting that 4GB is too much when that is the lowest option the OP has...so not a very useful or helpful point to make in the context of the question asked.

So, if he needs 2GB and 3GB would future-proof him for his needs what would you have him buy? Oh the 4GB right....

Sounds like you meant to say "for your usage you only currently need 2GB, therefore the starter config of 4GB is already future-proofed for you". ...but that isn't what you said.

20. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This is what you want to look at.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865

That thread will tell you exactly what you need. Chances are you will be more than fine with the 4GB model for several years if you aren't doing any video or photo editing, or running VM's. Just check out the link above and add up your score.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't agree with this at all. It defeats the whole purpose of following the wiki and turns into a waste of money for many users. It's like saying that everyone who is buying a Ford truck, should just buy an F-350 in case they ever need the power.

Since when do we need 4GB of ram to read email or write office docs? That can be done on a 15 year old laptop. People seriously oversell the amount of ram needed.

Your comment makes no sense. Apple isn't going to sell a machine that won't be usable for years to come. They offer 4GB as the lowest option for light to medium users to have plenty of power for several years.

People talking about 4GB barely being enough to "read emails" is a bunch of nonsense that does nothing to help new users who need accurate information. They don't need some fluff from people who are still stuck in the old spinning hard drive mentality where everyone must have MOAR RAM!!!!!

Follow the wiki, it's perfect for everyone to see how much ram they really need.

That is everything from every post I've had in this thread. Never did I say 4GB was too much. I said that the basic tasks being discussed didn't use near 4GB of ram. My original post included a link to the ram wiki to benefit the OP. We are all here to benefit others who have questions, but when people start in talking about needing all of this ram to do basic tasks, they need to be corrected.

21. jg321 macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. If you can afford the 8, get it for this reason. If not, then you'll probably be OK.