4Ghz i7 temperature and fan speed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rainydays, Nov 7, 2014.

1. rainydays macrumors 6502a

I'm curious as to which temperatures and fan speeds you i7 RiMac owners get under medium and heavy CPU load.
    I've seen some people saying that the fans ramp up for practically nothing while others claim that it keeps quiet no matter what they do (I find that hard to believe though).

It would be great if you'd like to install CPUTest and Temperature Gauge (or some other monitoring software.

Set CPUTest to
    Test type: Big
    Repetitions: 10
    Instances: 2
    Press start
    What kind of temperatures and fan speeds to you get by the end of the test?

Then set it to
    Test type: Enormous
    Repetitions: 1
    Instances: 8
    Press start
    What values do you get then?

Would be really helpful to get some kind of idea how hot that CPU is actually running.

2. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

It gets up to 100 C. The only task that has made it do that is running Handbrake. Handbrake runs all cores and threads as high as they'll go. The only other task that I've found to make the fans move at all is creating 1:1 previews on a large batch of photos in Lightroom. Temperature gets to about 90 C and fan will run at about 1500, which is still very quiet. It takes a long time to get to that temperature. For what it's worth my 2012 2.6 i7 Mini behaves identically for both tasks, runs at 100 C in Handbrake with full fan speed (5500 RPM). It just does the tasks much slower.

3. rainydays thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! It does seem to run a lot hotter than the 2013 3.4 i5 i have here. It goes up to about 65C during a handbrake session. I'm expecting the 3.5 i5 to behave about the same.

But I am curious how hot the i7 gets at medium load for an extended time since this is the typical scenario for music production. If it can run about 50% for an extended period of time without the fans going up it should pose no problems for me.

4. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

A hundred degree, that's interesting, can you check if thermal throttling occur? Thanks!

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I think an i7 runs considerably hotter than the i5 in general.

6. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

Yes, for the Handbrake runs it throttles down from 4.2 to 3.8 GHz. It performs very well. A blu-ray MKV conversion I ran the other day took 80 minutes, compared to 130 for my Mini, which runs at a steady 3.4 GHz. For Lightroom tasks, it stays at 4.2 GHz even when the temperature gets up to 90.

7. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I want to know.

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

In Logic X, the fans come on regularly when you start loading plugins and such. Not sure about the temps. Copying files, or really any multitasking during a Logic session will also spin the fans sometimes.