4GM RAM doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egutter, May 23, 2009.

1. egutter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought two 2GB Kingston 667MHz DDR2 PC2-5300 SDRAM sticks (KVR667D2S5/2G)

If I try both together they don't work, the computer just don't boot. The screen remains black and the power led on, but nothing else happens (no sound at all).

If I try one of the new sticks with one of the old (original) 512MB sticks, then they work and the OS recognizes 2.5GB.

I am 100% sure the sticks are well installed as I tried both with the old memory and I switched them once at a time to make sure they were installed properly.

According to the Mac's documentation and as far as I've been reading in the forums, it should work fine with 4GB.

I've couldn't find anything in the forums that could help me to solve this problem. :(

Thanks,
    Emilio

My computer:
    Macbook white 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.5.7)
    Model Identifier: 4.1
    L2 Cache: 3MB
    Bus Speed: 800MHz
    Boot Room version: MB41.00C1.B00

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

When you install both the 2GB sticks, do you hear a chime or does it just startup and give you a black screen? You get any beep sequences? Might be a long shot but try to install both the 2GB sticks and reset the PRAM. I don't think it could be the RAM as both of them work with with the original 512MB stick.

3. egutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Neither chime nor beep sequences. Just a small kind of hard drive noise before the led is turn on, and then black screen without any sound.

I tried to reset the PRAM following mac's site instructions (command+option+P+R), but nothing happened.

Thanks for your help,
    Emilio

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem, the Kingston RAM should have worked but didn't.
    I sent it back and got a refund on it.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's likely because you bought incompatible RAM. Make sure you buy RAM that specifically says it's for the MacBook.

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

But would they still work when he puts them in with the old 512MB RAM? That seems weird that they work one way but not another.:confused:

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Because the old chips force the new chips to the correct timing (downward). There are a number of threads here on the forums that address this very problem. Macs are notorious for being picky when it comes to RAM.

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

For my Macbook i bought Kingston KTA-MB667K2/4G and it states on the package Equiv APPLE P/N: N/A

i did not have any issues at all, I bought it from newegg and I went to the apple section, what does the "MB" mean in the part number, MacBook?