Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I received a brand new MBP today and after fully charging it It gives me a usage time of 4 hours.

It's the 2.8 17"....how can i tell if i have the older model with the 4 hour battery versus the 8 hour battery?

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I received a brand new MBP today and after fully charging it It gives me a usage time of 4 hours.

It's the 2.8 17"....how can i tell if i have the older model with the 4 hour battery versus the 8 hour battery?

If you can remove your battery, you have 4hr. If you cannot, then you have 8hr.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Battery usage will vary depending on what you are doing
The estimates are not absolute, but are based on normal usage

What exactly are you doing on your computer?

For instance, if you are downloading torrents while ripping DVDs and playing games... you will drain your batter quicker ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
You just answered my questions guys....im migrating my stuff so thats why the battery life is moving quickly.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Sometimes when I wake up my computer and the battery is still trying to calculate, iStat will report 2x:xx battery life or 3x:xx. One day people, one day...:)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Sometimes when I wake up my computer and the battery is still trying to calculate, iStat will report 2x:xx battery life or 3x:xx. One day people, one day...:)

lol ya, I had it set to the one bar on the screen so i could just see it, wifi off, BT off, everything I could think off to make it last as long as possible and after unplugging it on a full charge it showed like 18 hours. Was fun for the few seconds it lasted until I moved the mouse and opened Safari lol.

I did however surf via wired internet connection and pulled 7h 40m+ and could regularly go over 6 hours in my daily work. Email, Citrix client for my virtual desktop from work etc.. Have been impressed with the new batteries for sure.

I have had my new 13" 2.26 MBP running a 7200rpm 320gig drive and started watching Hulu last nite at 9pm, watched 2.5 hours of Hulu, surfed for another 2 hours and the battery was showing 1:13m when I stopped using it. Very impressive for the form factor of a 13" Laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.