4k/5k Display on MBPr - Dedicated GPU better choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcoma, Oct 17, 2014.

1. marcoma macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I should get the latest MBPr with dedicated GeForce GPU or without.

For sure I won't need it for what I do. No games, no Video-Editing etc. just desktop-work and photo editing in Lightroom - maybe watch a video sometimes. Don't tell me that the GeForce has higher FPS in games, I'm aware of that and I don't care.

So I'd prefer the Iris-Pro only version since it's said to save battery and keep the macbook a bit cooler...also I'll have external screen attached often where the GPU would always be on and probably cause some heat. In the back of my head is also the apple-history of dedicated GPU macbooks dying quicker...so overall sounds like the non-GPU version would be an easy choice for me.

But....I might want to get a 4k or once it's out a Thunderbolt-5k-display in the near future.

Now I wonder if the dedicated GPU will help here? So in other words will there be a difference or will it maybe even necessary to have the GeForce to run a 5k Display? Will a 4k display perform better (again just desktop-applications) having the dedicated GPU?

Marco

2. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

The rMBP with NVIDIA 750M does not run hotter when connected to an external display all day every day. The fans never spin up doing normal tasks, managing tons of windows/tabs, or using Aperture. Only app installs, video coding, and batch photo export cause a spin up. As your iGPU activated on an external monitor means you will also have power, the battery life hit is a non-issue at your desk. Whether or not NVIDIA chips carry the same default as 2008 is anybodies guess but so far no reports of failing chips. Based on the tear downs the heat transfer in the retina macs appear to be much better designed. If you plan on seriously running a 4k monitor or HDMI to a TV then I'd consider the dGPU models. 5K will not run on a rMBP as far as I know. Nor will a macPro for that matter from what I've read.

3. marcoma thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply FunGi!

Okay so a rMBP running the 750M on an external screen is not hotter than a rMBP running on Iris Pro? I mean it will run hot here anyway due to high CPU/RAM usage so I don't want to add any unnecessary heat.

And a 4K screen will run better with a 750M than with Iris Pro only even just doing desktop-stuff?

4. wolfboy macrumors regular

I use the 750M rMBp connected to an external display 8 hours a day, everyday at work. The fans never spin up, least I can't hear it.

5. MxDaviD macrumors member

what about the iris pro only model?
    How will it handle 4K display? (2014 model 15")

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I have no first hand experience with and without a 750M on a 4k display but logic would suggest it would handle it better. Also Google is your friend. I would also consider that your Haswell processor may actually run a bit cooler when using the dGPU because the iGPU will be inactive.