Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
The video capture on iPhone is incredible now!

I’m keen to understand how I watch the great video captured on my iPhone via my 4K TV.

I’ve resorted to uploading my video to YouTube but there must be a better way?

Can you use Airplay 2 to stream 4K 60fps to an AppleTV 4K?

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
This is a complaint I've had for a while. Apple's flagship devices that can capture glorious 4K/60 video, have no way to easily view it on their Apple TV 4K's. I have submitted feedback to Apple and encourage you to do the same. Seems like a huge oversight.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
This is a complaint I've had for a while. Apple's flagship devices that can capture glorious 4K/60 video, have no way to easily view it on their Apple TV 4K's. I have submitted feedback to Apple and encourage you to do the same. Seems like a huge oversight.
Do you have any facts that support this? How do you know it doesn't? Can you see what format is the stream crossing the network in?
I am curious to know, because on both ends I see 4K60 video and have no way of telling if it might be down-and-then-upscaled along the way.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Do you think it is specifically downscaled for network and then upscaled back in aTV??

I think it depends on the content. If it’s  content I don’t think it’s really AirPlaying unless there’s no internet at all. What I mean is if you have an internet connection I think it treats the content like casting does. So basically it’s still playing from  servers so it will be 4K video if the connection can handle it. If the connection can’t handle it or if the internet is down then it’s gonna downscale to 1080p.

All other content is 1080p. At least that’s what I think is going on. But I could be totally wrong.

Reactions: chrismac2

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
Do you have any facts that support this? How do you know it doesn't? Can you see what format is the stream crossing the network in?
I am curious to know, because on both ends I see 4K60 video and have no way of telling if it might be down-and-then-upscaled along the way.
If you have an Apple TV 4K, with default settings it is always sending a 4K signal to your TV, regardless of the source material resolution.

Everything I've read states that Airplay is limited to 1080p video. And even my eyes, I can tell that the TV is not showing the original 4k resolution of the video on my phone.

Here's a recent example of what I've read: https://appletoolbox.com/can-iphone-x-xr-or-xs-display-4k-video-on-a-4k-tv/

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
If you have an Apple TV 4K, with default settings it is always sending a 4K signal to your TV, regardless of the source material resolution.

Everything I've read states that Airplay is limited to 1080p video. And even my eyes, I can tell that the TV is not showing the original 4k resolution of the video on my phone.

Here's a recent example of what I've read: https://appletoolbox.com/can-iphone-x-xr-or-xs-display-4k-video-on-a-4k-tv/

I just don’t think AirPlay has been redesigned for 4K.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
It looks like one alternative is if you have an iPad Pro lying around with the USB-C to HDMI adapter, it can output 4k video at 30fps :)

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I just don’t think AirPlay has been redesigned for 4K.
I was always under the impression that it sends incoming compatible (AVC, these days also HEVC) stream over the net just verbatim.
Does it really re-encode it on the fly? Why?
PS iPhone havs a on-board hardware encoder, but my 2013 MacBook Pro definitely doesn't. Still, I can easily send my 4K home video from iTunes over AirPlay. Even with HDR10. Even with E-AC-3 Atmos. And subtitles.
I bet it would do also Dolby Vision, iTunes also happily ingests such a file, but aTV Computers app resolutely excludes them from the Library listings :(
So I reckon, it just sends the file contents (streams) unaltered.
PS Sending a iPhone camera clip might be another story, as it has quite high bitrate (close to 60MBps from my iP8). Maybe the Photos app takes it down to lesser bitrate or even lesser resolution. 60MBps is way too much for the aTV 4K native decoder. Infuse can handle it.
PPS Watching a stream from iCloud Library definitely is 1080p and comes as such down from the cloud already.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.01.11.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.01.11.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,189
Last edited:

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Does your TV have an option to display the source and display resolutions? It may just be upscaled.

How would one do this on a 2019 Samsung TV when using ATV or cable box etc? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
No, aTV 4K sends a 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 image to the TV as seen on the screenshot:

That is as expected. The Apple TV 4K > TV handshake results in the Apple TV sensing that it is connected to a 4K TV and it adjusts its settings accordingly.

The airplay issue is what resolution is sent to the Apple TV in a pre Big Sur OS. Haven't tested myself but there are a lot of posts saying that it is limited to 1080p. I assume in the example you have given that the Apple TV then upscales.

How this all changes in Big Sur seems to be an open question.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
How would one do this on a 2019 Samsung TV when using ATV or cable box etc? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Pretty straightforward. I just did it for the first time a few days ago.

The "natural size" will be the actual resolution of the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.