Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAtte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Hello! My work Windows laptop has Intels UHD620 (i5 8th gen) and it can’t play Youtube 4k/60fps or same with hdr. It stutters every other second.

Can the Mac Mini with its HD630 play 4k/60fps Youtube videos and same with hdr without stutters?

AAtte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Okay, no answers? My i5 8gb ram Mini arrived today. GPU is at 80% when playing 4K HDR 60FPS video form Youtube with Chrome. So it is within its limits. But the i5 is not capable for it. RAM is ok for this one video, pressure is green.

Am I really needing to buy the i7 to be able to watch videos from Youtube?

(Dont know why the pic is side wqys, its straight in my phone)

EDIT: It seems that MacOS doesn't support Youtubes VP9 codec at the moment which means that basically all Macs stutter with their videos. So it is not because of bad performance.

Attachments

• DD82E446-35F6-4B9E-A7C4-E5CE3EAC9118.jpeg
    DD82E446-35F6-4B9E-A7C4-E5CE3EAC9118.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try a browser other than Safari:
- Firefox
- Opera
- EPIC privacy browser
- Brave
- Microsoft Canary
- Vivaldi

Safari can't play 4k videos from Youtube.
Try one of the others, and you'll see the options that are missing when using Safari...

AAtte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Try a browser other than Safari:
- Firefox
- Opera
- EPIC privacy browser
- Brave
- Microsoft Canary
- Vivaldi

Safari can't play 4k videos from Youtube.
Try one of the others, and you'll see the options that are missing when using Safari...
Sorry but how will that help? If the problem is missing VP9 codec in MacOS, other browsers won't fix the problem.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Sorry but how will that help? If the problem is missing VP9 codec in MacOS, other browsers won't fix the problem."

You're WRONG about that.
TRY them and see for yourself.
The problem is with Safari (not with the Mac OS)

AAtte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
"Sorry but how will that help? If the problem is missing VP9 codec in MacOS, other browsers won't fix the problem."

You're WRONG about that.
TRY them and see for yourself.
The problem is with Safari (not with the Mac OS)

I will try Firefox tomorrow. My tests were done with Chrome. So it is ”any other than Safari”. Why isn’t it in your list?

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
To be honest with you even on my 2020 10th Gen. MBP has a hard time playing back 4K60 videos. The fans will ramp up and the CPU will climb into the 90s. iOS 14 is getting VP9 support so I'm hoping the Big Sur will be next in line to natively support the codec.

It's not an ideal solution but you may want to look into setting up a Windows bootcamp partition for the time being.

vigyan

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
I have Mac mini 2018 with i5 and 8gm ram. I use chrome for 4k videos. it plays everything fine without HDR. which is 4k @ 60 fps.
it plays HDR videos fine upto 1440p without stuttering but if its HDR @ 60 fps then only 1080p is smooth.

hope this clarifies some bit.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Eh? I am not sure I am following you.

Doesn't make a dent in performance playing at 4K in Chrome. Because most Youtube videos are using the recommended video codec H.264, for which Mac Mini has hardware acceleration.

Now, if you watch 4K and your resolution is NOT native 3840x2160 but scaled to some weird non-integer, then you may see the CPU kick in to recalculate.

If you are low on RAM, it may also affect performance. Because VRAM uses 1.5 GB of whatever you have installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.