4K @ 60hz for MacBook Pro 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiteSizeThumb, Feb 4, 2017.

1. BiteSizeThumb macrumors member

I have a Samsung U28D590 display that is 4K, however there are only 2 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort. How abouts can I get full 4K at 60hz out of my MacBook Pro 2016? The multimedia adapter only puts out 30hz which is awful. What adapters do I need? Any recommendations?

2. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

There are a few adapters that do USB-C to HDMI 4K@60Hz, for example this.

3. BiteSizeThumb thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that software might have been the problem that's holding it back to 30hz. Can someone confirm this?

4. fraternihil macrumors newbie

HDMI 1.4 = 30hz only, HDMI 2.0 can do 60hz. DisplayPort can do 4k@60 hz via DP1.2.

5. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

On some adapters you must hold the option key whilst selecting a resolution to get 60Hz, but adapters such as the one I linked do support 4K 60Hz.

(Adapters like the Apple Multiport do not support 60Hz because they also contain a USB 3 port. USB-C only has enough bandwidth for 4K@60Hz and USB 2.)

6. BiteSizeThumb thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the clarification. I'll have to look into those cables (in Canada) as there aren't much USB-C to HDMI options, or DisplayPort.

7. DanDilla macrumors member

DanDilla

I would recommend you to buy a USB-C to Displayport cable like this (https://www.amazon.de/StarTech-Disp...49201&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+c+displayport+kabel) or a USB-C to Displayport adapter (https://www.amazon.de/Club-3D-Displ...=1486249179&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+displayport) and use a normal DP cable.

There are 2 points because of which I wouldn't recommend you to go the HDMI route.

1) In the first review I found on your Monitor it says there's no HDMI 2.0, so only 30hz 4k over HDMI...

2) USB-C doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so these are always "active" adapters which use the Displayport Alt-Mode and convert the Displayport signal to HDMI.

F your Display should support HDMI 2.0, I wouldn't recommend to use it, you would have to use the alternative Mode translation Route with eiither - if you're lucke - the 4k60 in the "option" resolutions or you will have to get the timing of your Display from the EDID and set it right with SwitchResX (with the Club3d USB-C toHDMI 2.0 one).

Or you buy a Displayport cable and get 4k60 as a native resolution without hassle...

8. BiteSizeThumb thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the recommendations. I went ahead and ordered the USB-C to DisplayPort Adaptor. The reviews are kind of iffy (as they for some reason say HDMI... and majority of the people are connecting it to a TV) but I'll see what happens, and I have Amazon Prime so worst case I return it.

Thanks guys!

9. DRDR macrumors member

10. MacUser_101 macrumors newbie

What was the outcome of this? Did it work? I have the same issue as you have and I'm interested to know what happened with your solution.