4k @ 60Hz on Mac Mini [New?]

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tfoutz99, Apr 10, 2015.

1. tfoutz99 macrumors newbie

I just (like 30 hours ago) bought a new QNIX 2560x1560 monitor for the mac mini I also just bought (that should arrive early next week). Well, I went on the Apple support article for 4k, and I just noticed that it had been updated since... last night. Maybe they were updating the page for the new macbook? Anyways, it now says the following:

What?!

No big deal, I can return my brand new monitor, and spring for a new one. The thing is, before I do that, I was wondering if anyone could verify this? Does someone have a single-stream 3840x2160 monitor they could hook up and see if it works at 60 Hz? That would be so cool.

Thanks! Fingers crossed...

2. MiniMe77, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

MiniMe77 macrumors member

That would indeed be cool. I'd heard about some people managing to get 60 Hz on the mini with different tricks but would be great if it were now officially supported!

The Apple Mini page still says 30 Hz though. Maybe they forgot to update that?

3. MiniMe77 macrumors member

But those are old articles well before the recent Yosemite update.

4. Pieterr macrumors regular

Yes you're right.

Looks like the Apple support article and the Intel document contradict, at least as far as the Mac mini is concerned.
    Only one of the two can be correct, so indeed an interesting question from the TS.

5. asus macrumors newbie

If 60Hz is real, they only could do it by reducing chroma information from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, like nvidia did with they 7xx cards, to reduce bandwidth. And that's useless :confused:

6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

From the Mac Mini Tech Specs page on the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

Video Support

Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output

Native Mini DisplayPort output
    DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output

Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

7. asus macrumors newbie

No one here with mini and 4k display to try this out? :(

I would bet it can't be true, but you never know.. :rolleyes:

8. SlickVik macrumors member

Just tested my mini with P2415Q under 10.10.3 - 4k doesn't work via DisplayPort at all - Max is 2560 x 1440.

Back to HDMI @ 30hz..

9. tfoutz99, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

tfoutz99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer. Thank you so much for trying!

Perhaps it's because the P2415Q is a multi stream? What about a sst single stream monitor?

10. iamfredrik macrumors member

11. MacVidCards Suspended

I'll try tomorrow with my 2014 Mini and Dell UP2715K. I can put it in 4K SST mode.

I game on my Mini in Windows and when I boot it into an Asus 4K MST display using Mini TB ports, it only outputs to left half of screen, indicating it can't do MST. There are some settings that pop up in the Intel drivers at that offer DP tiling or something like that, but I have never bothered to play with them. I am quite certain that it would be unable to do much at 4K 60Hz in terms of gaming so I haven't bothered.

I'll post results of the Dell, but if one guy has already said it doesn't work, seems unlikely.

12. MiniMe77 macrumors member

I think the Dell P2415Q and P2715Q have both SST and MST modes, don't they? Maybe it has to be specifically in SST mode for 60Hz to work on the mini? Maybe somebody can test that.

13. SlickVik macrumors member

I thought it was in SST mode by default? If not if someone can tell me how to put it in SST mode I can retest and post the results..

14. iamfredrik macrumors member

SST is default. MST should be off by default and can be turned on from the OSD > Menu > Display.

15. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I'd suggest you open a support case with Apple and see what they say.

They clearly should not be claiming 4K/60Hz support on their support pages, when it fact it doesn't work. They should at the very least update their 4K page with correct info, and stop confusing people.

16. L-Janne macrumors newbie

To OP, you can keep your new monitor. The Apple support article has been updated again. No 60 Hz 4K for Mac mini. And just today I ordered a new mini so I could upgrade to a 4K display..

17. MacVidCards Suspended

Thought I updated this. My 2014 refused to do 4K 60 Hz on both an MST and an SST display.

Disappointing. Even when connected through a GTX680 it wouldn't do it, tells me there is a blacklist in the OS

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

There is a "Patch to allow display overclocking in Mac OS X; allow 4K over HDMI at full refresh rate".

L/ML: https://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation
    Mavericks: https://code.google.com/r/douglas-mac-pixel-clock-patch/

I am unable to test this myself as I do not have a 4K display.

19. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

Can someone remind me how/if you can use a Dell P2415Q with the Late 2014 mini via Displayport? I realize you won't get 4K60, but can you get a HiDPI resolution at <4K that is at least decent to look at, and sharper than what you see on a traditional 1920x1200 24" monitor?