Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
The psychology of perception is complex. I mean, when we look at a JPEG of a friend we see their image and not overlapping boxes of color variance -- this is because the brain forgives minor unexpected variation in chaotic regions. One form of steganography encrypts information by hiding it an image, but this only works in those noisy, chaotic parts of an image. You couldn't, for example, as easily hide information in an 8 bit image of a constant, medium grey area -- our brains would pick it right out, the same way they identify JPEG noise in poorly compressed text.

Or, to put it another way, you can certainly hide data in images. But you can't hide any data in any image from every observer. Most steganographic algorithms correct for this automatically.

Okay, I accept that answer. I hadn't considered it that way, and now that I have seen for myself that I am wrong, and there is a reasonable explanation for what I was experiencing, I will adjust my view accordingly. I LOVE getting to learn awesome stuff like this. Any chance you could recommend a few books on the psychology of perception?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.