Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Hello everyone.

Just purchased a 4K Apple TV. Overall pleased with the user experience. However, I just bought a 4K TV, plugged the apple 4k TV in, and I can't find a 4K option on the device. In settings>audio & video>resolutions I can see a variety of 1080p and below, but no 4K. This makes absolutely no sense to me, as my previous TV which wasn't even 4K at least had the option show up. I am thinking there is some issue with the latest software update that maybe crippled the resolution options. Anyone have any insight into this?

I have a Samsung QLED 4k TV (QN55Q7FAMFXZC)

Thanks.

Reactions: Donfor39

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
From the user guide - http://help.apple.com/appletv/#/atvba773c3c9

Choose video output format. You can choose the resolution, frame rate and dynamic range settings for video playback. To choose a format, in Settings
IL_Settings.png
, go to Video and Audio > Format.

Switch to match frame rate to content. Apple TV can automatically switch the frame rate during playback to match video content. To turn on this feature, in Settings
IL_Settings.png
, go to Video and Audio > Switch to match frame rate.

Switch to match dynamic range to content. Apple TV can automatically switch the dynamic range setting during playback to match video content. To turn on this feature, in Settings
IL_Settings.png
, go to Video and Audio > Switch to match dynamic range.

Adjust other audio and video settings. You can adjust other audio- or video-related settings, such as Sound Effects and Music, Navigation Clicks, Surround Sound, HDMI Output and Resolution. In Settings
IL_Settings.png
, go to Video and Audio.

andrewks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Hey Willis,

I have already gone to video output format. I went there and 4K is not listed. I am absolutely certain I have a 4K TV. Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The AppleTV and the TV negotiate their digital connection, kind of like old fashioned modems used to do. Try all of the HDMI inputs on the TV and if that doesn’t work you probably need a better HDMI cable.

Reactions: niteflyr

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
You have bought the wrong ATV4
How does the remote look like?
The left one is for ATV4 4K
apple-tv-remotes-apple-tv-4k-apple-tv-4gen.png

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Check your TV manual to see if you have to use a certain HDMI input for 4K material.

Check your HDMI cable to make sure it is rated for 4K material (I believe it has to be certified HiSpeed 18GBps or something like that).

Do you have any HDMI switches, wall plates, AV receivers, or sound bars hooked up between the Apple TV and your Television? If so make sure they are properly rated for 4K content on the HDMI ports you are using.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
easy way to check....
the 4 has a USB-C connection on the back, the 4K does not

or settings->general->about and look at model number
4k - A1842
4 - A1625

Reactions: Donfor39

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Use the Check Cable function to see if that brings up anything.
Try a reset of the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.