4K Apple TV worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by The Game 161, Apr 25, 2019.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I’ve got the previous gen and I do have a 4K TV but those who upgraded was it worth it? So deciding if to upgrade or not

2. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Definitely worth it if you buy or rent iTunes film as so many are in 4K HDR / Dolby Vision.

The A10X chip is very very fast - no lag. Everything just looks great PLUS you could sell your ATV4 for a decent price.

What you can ask yourself is, how does your current ATV4 look on your new TV. Chance are that it still looks great. If you are an iTunes film user, then the new model makes real sense.

3. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

I have both. But, I got mine "free" with DirectTVNow for 3 months that I was going to buy anyhow.

Both are great.

4. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Upgrade was definitely worth it here. I purchased a 4k UHD TV last Black Friday and already had the ATV4. My wife bought my the ATV 4k for Christmas and I have absolutely loved the upgrade. Movies I rent on iTunes look superb and really anything (Hulu, Netflix, HBO) look fantastic on the TV.

5. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

I used 3rd Gen before purchasing 4K apple t.v.
    Though I wanted use from my Sony non hdr 4K t.v. (In addition to sky uhd)
    I've found I have started to purchase a small selection of enjoyable movies from iTunes.
    And I'm planning on finally uploading some dvds and blue rays via Infuse App/Apple 4K t.v.
    Have to add the remote is amazingly smooth -though sometimes a little to responsive and sensitive to very light accidental touch.
    Apple 4K t.v. Has in effect replaced Sky Movies and even with movie purchases it's still less expensive than the +20 pounds Movies subs.
    Though I continue with Sky entertainment and sports subs.
    Personally I am very happy with the frequency of using Apple 4K t..v. And quality of movies.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Respect to your wife! What a lovely gift :)

7. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

In my professional line of work (pro a/v) we have a few 4k displays in our showroom. I ordered a couple and connected them to the 4k displays. Um yes, definitely worth it.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I don’t have one because I don’t have a 4K TV but it I did it would be an automatic buy. You might as well watch your content in the best quality possible.

9. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Absolutely- give the older one to a family member. I have two 4K now and they look great and are very fast!

10. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I got mine from the DTV deal too. I went through a few hoops to get it shipped to me in Canada but it was definitely worth it over the non-4k ATV.

11. Beelzbub macrumors 6502

Yeah it is still worth it. I have 4 Apple TV's and all 4 of them work perfectly. We got rid of traditional TV and went the streaming route for everything. I have an Apple TV 4 in my bedroom, and Apple TV 4K in my family room (got that one for free last summer with DirecTV Now), an Apple TV 3 in my game room/man cave (still works perfectly for iTunes, Amazon Prime & Netflix and prefer the interface over the Roku stuff on that TV) and I have an Apple TV 2 in the guest bedroom, still works good for Netflix and iTunes movies.

So yeah I would say it is still worth it. Still using my older Apple TV's for streaming and they still work good. I got my Apple TV 2 about 8/9 years ago and am amazed it still works good.

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Just ordered the 4K Apple TV

Going to use my old Apple TV for the bedroom

Think makes sense seeing as I have a 4K TV