Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I got the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive but what kind of software do I use to play the 4k discs? I tried Quicktime and VLC but getting an error message and could not play. Any advise or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
For licensing reasons this isn't straightforward.

You can get VLC to play pretty much anything - I have no experience with 4k discs, but with regular blu-rays, it required a dynamic library and an encryption key map, and of course then it only supports the discs that there are decryption keys for in the database.

I am going to bet that there exists no free software that allows you to play 4k discs simply. The VLC trick I mentioned before, whilst not strictly speaking illegal, does bypass the licensing in a semi-hacky way. A commercial product would need to have a license to play the discs.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
For licensing reasons this isn't straightforward.

You can get VLC to play pretty much anything - I have no experience with 4k discs, but with regular blu-rays, it required a dynamic library and an encryption key map, and of course then it only supports the discs that there are decryption keys for in the database.

I am going to bet that there exists no free software that allows you to play 4k discs simply. The VLC trick I mentioned before, whilst not strictly speaking illegal, does bypass the licensing in a semi-hacky way. A commercial product would need to have a license to play the discs.

Thanks, how do I go about being able to play BD thru VLC?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks, how do I go about being able to play BD thru VLC?

Honestly it's so long ago I set it up I can't entirely remember, but my setup at least doesn't work with 4K discs.

You can fairly easily find it on Google though. That's what I did. - In fact, here's an article that seems to do the right thing:

You need the AACS dylib and the keys database (link in article) and place them in the specified folders, restart VLC and it should just work

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The link above doesn't specifically mention UHD discs, which use different encryption. Something that does work is to use MakeMKV to remove the protection. You can then play the resulting .m2ts files in VLC or IINA.

While I'm here, it's worth mentioning that you should not install any firmware updates for your drive. That particular drive does not officially support UHD discs, and later versions of the firmware actively block it from reading them.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The link above doesn't specifically mention UHD discs, which use different encryption. Something that does work is to use MakeMKV to remove the protection. You can then play the resulting .m2ts files in VLC or IINA.

While I'm here, it's worth mentioning that you should not install any firmware updates for your drive. That particular drive does not officially support UHD discs, and later versions of the firmware actively block it from reading them.

I did mention that it was only for Blu-Ray and not 4K discs, but thank you for the additional information, helping the OP out with what they actually wanted to achieve :) - Could be useful to me in future as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I did a quick search and found this:

I can't vouch for anything posted there, I'm just "passing this on".

But my guess (and it's ONLY "a guess") is that you may need one of the apps out there that are designed to play BD discs on the Mac, as mentioned in the piece above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.