4K display @ 60 fps on skylake macbook pros HDMI 2.0 Thunderbolt 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VesselA, Jul 26, 2015.

1. VesselA macrumors regular

Like thousands, I am sure, I have bought a large 4K TV (LG 42") which is capable of running 4K @ 60 fps as it has HDMI 2.0 inputs.

Getting any device to actually input this though hasn't been possible yet - so seems to be a case of the TV's being ahead of the tech game so far.

From some research it seems that the next gen intel processors "SKYLAKE" are going to be capable of running HDMI 2.0 = 4K @ 60 and have support for THUNDERBOLT 3 which is also capable of adapting to power HDMI 2.0.

So it seems that this processor will enable 4K TV's with HDMI 2.0 to run as external displays which is what many have been waiting for (this LG tv can be adjusted to look as good as my old 30 inch apple cinema display in terms of contrast/colour/brightness so the only thing I've been waiting on is the 60 hertz & from 2-3 feet away I think it makes the best viewing option as no pixels can be seen, yet its huge)

So my question is, for those more in the know than me, what is the likelihood of apple upgrading the macbook pros by the end of this year to SKYLAKE? Will the graphics in the macbook pros be powerful enough to run 4K @ 60 hertz?

Apple will need to also upgrade their HDMI 2.0 if they are to be directly compatible with 2.0 TVs, is there anything inhibiting this beside skylake?

Reading about THUNDERBOLT 3 it seems able to adapt to HDMI 2.0 though, so as long as apple upgrade to thunderbolt 3 (which is usb c shaped) and have skylake you could run an external adapter to output HDMI 2.0 which is not currently possible with THUNDERBOLT 2 I have learned.

So is this likely by the end of the year? Are the macbook pros going to be capable of this? or is there some other limitation that may prohibit it?

I am currently holding off on upgrading to any new computer as I want it to be able to run this TV as an external monitor at full resolution 4K and smooth at 60 fps. If this breakthrough is not likely then I may as well upgrade now.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the skylake dates for mobile haven't been announced yet so it's difficult to say with any sort of assurance. I would guess we'll get them early next year but who knows...

In theory if you had a Mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter you could run it fine with the current rMBP's but there aren't any available that I can find.

3. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

I think there might be a limit with the processor that makes it unable to adapt / process HDMI @ 4K @ 60 hertz - this is probably why there are no adapters - I saw an external adapter box which connects via thunderbolt but the HDMI out on it is only 1.4. Then I read thunderbolt 3 will be able to convert to HDMI 2.0, which indicates thunderbolt 2 on current macs is not able to

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The only technical reasons I can see are firmware related.

5. af21187 macrumors 6502

6. David Harris macrumors newbie