Resolved 4K Display Issues w/ MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingKazma, Apr 7, 2017.

1. KingKazma macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro. Ive owned it since August or September of 2011. It is quite a trooper. We've gotten through and out of many sticky situations together:D but now I have a problem that I haven't been able to figure a solution to.

A little over 2 years ago I bought an LG 31MU97-B Cinema 4K Monitor to use with another computer(PC), that I ended up discarding. During the time I was using the monitor with said PC, I was never able to reach the max resolution on the monitor(which is advertised as 4096x2160)without some 3rd party software. It was shoddy but it worked for me then. Now that I don't use that PC anymore, I have only my trusty MBP. I was re-configuring my desk setup, and decided to use the LG monitor as my main display while the MBP is in clamshell, seemed simple enough. The way I have the LG monitor wired up is as follows: MBP--->Thunderbolt Pro Duo--->Thunderbolt Pro Duo--->LG monitor.
    Using Apple thunderbolt cables for the drives and a HDMI cable for the monitor, via a thunderbolt to HDMI converter all in a daisy chain configuration.

I am having the same problem as before. I am not able to reach the max resolution, or anywhere close to it tbh. Display prefs only give me a maximum resolution of 1080p(with the option key pressed). I tried to use the same program that I did on the PC to force a resolution, but alas it is not available for OS X. I stumbled upon a program names SwitchResX which all mac users seem to love and looked like my way out. However, this didn't work for me unfortunately. I took it a step further and used Terminal to try and locate my display ID so I could edit the plist file. I was able to locate and edit the file, but to no avail. I can't figure this one out for the life of me:( I really need this to work though as I do occasionally video edit in 4K. Are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-KingK

Here are some pics that I thought may be helpful:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

3. KingKazma thread starter macrumors newbie

Aw man. My baby's obsolete after all :( Well she's done me good to get this far without any real issues. Thanks for the info, looks like a search for a new MBP may be in order.

4. yukari macrumors regular

5. jerryk macrumors 68030

Expensive way to fix the problem. I cannot see spending that sort of money on such an old system.

6. yukari macrumors regular

Actually, this will allow me to buy a cheaper MBP down the road (lower dGPU).

7. hajime macrumors 68030

Too bad my MBP 2010 17" cannot drive 4K display nor use eGPU.

8. yukari macrumors regular

Bought AORUS GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Box eGPU ($599 NewEgg) which had all the necessary enclosure, PSU and GTX1070 GPU). Tried it with El Capitan OSX - for some reason it did not work.

Upgraded to Sierra OSX (10.12.6) and voila! It worked without any problem.

Set up: 2011 (late) 15" MBP, Apple thunderbolt (TB3 <--> TB1/2) adapter, AORUS GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Box eGPU, and AOC 40" 4k curved monitor.

Bonus is AORUS has USB-3 connectors. So I can get USB-3 speed on accessories instead of USB-2 speed on my MBP.

9. hajime macrumors 68030

Thanks. Have you tried it under Bootcamp Windows or Ubuntu Linux?

10. yukari macrumors regular